LA's refused to aid with transport costs for daughter to attend college. Is this discriminatory? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LA's refused to aid with transport costs for daughter to attend college. Is this discriminatory?

Options
Boaly66
Boaly66 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2021 in Education
My LA have refused to aid with transportation costs for my daughter to attend college in a neighbouring borough. Their  policy stating, "Before applying for a travel pass a young person must consider were the course is available first 
and where. This means that if the same, or similar, course is available from a Post 16 provider closer to home than outside of the borough, then the latter would not be considered eligible for support"

Does this not appear discriminatory? All children are able to pick their college from within or without their local area but limiting  disabled young people the transport vital to their attendance seems unfair and possibly illegal.

Has anybody encountered and challenged similar?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

This is correct and it's all to do with the available funding from your local Authority. I'm not sure whether it would be worht challenging this. Is there any reasons why she chose the college that's further away from home?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Boaly66
    Boaly66 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    It was the most suitable course. The course closer to home is similar but not what she wants nor at a college she cares for.
    It will be exactly the same for my non-disabled son a year from now. The subject options he has are available locally but he will exercise his choice to go further afield . Of course he will be able to utilise public transport in a way that my daughter has neither  the confidence nor ability to do.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Boaly66

Thanks for reaching out to us. It is understandably frustrating for you that the local authority refused to support you with transport costs for your daughter to attend college. Many of us in the special educational needs and disability field understand that learners with special educational needs and disabilities may need to travel further afield for educational settings to best meet their needs. Unfortunately, travel support is not typically available for post-16 (which includes colleges). However, there is still potential for you to challenge the local authority's decision. For example, you could appeal the decision with your local authority and you could get the college named in an educational, health and care plan. Aside from local authority funding, if you are a low-income family, you could see if your daughter's college has a bursary or discounted travel scheme. I hope this helps! However, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out again  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.