Unexpected deduction from my ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unexpected deduction from my ESA

Options
iza
iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
Hi All , I received yesterday a letter that I will be deducted about 22£ from my ESA  no explanation why . I am on ESA since 11/12/2018 a I won my case in the Court. All payments were all normal over all those last 3 years until yesterday. I phoned ESA today they said it is related to my JSA claim from past . However in the letter which I received today I got info that is related to ESA but no explanation. Just the date of collection those 22 £ . All my payments were stable over 3 years. Does the government is stilling money from us now to feel the economic hole in the budget due to the Covid 19 ? Please advise or explain. Thanks 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If you've had an overpayment in the past from another benefit then they can take payments from an existing benefit to repay what you owe. We wouldn't be able to give you any information as to why you owe this money. You make do a subject access request (SAR) to DWP and they will send you all the information they have about you which will include any overpayments from the past. Do that here. https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/personal-information-request/name

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • charlie79
    charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    Options
    Nice to see you back Poppy You've Been missed. Good luck Iza with your problem. :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    charlie79 said:
    Nice to see you back Poppy You've Been missed. Good luck Iza with your problem. :)

Thank you! Good to see you post and i hope you're well :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • iza
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456, thank you very much. You are right. I requested phone call from the benefit centre to clarify the overpayments and it is indeed from previous my claim when I was on  JSA before I won the case in the court. However, they said that they did overpayment between September \October in 2015. We are now in 2021 so exactly 6 years back. Do they allowed to go so much back ? I think they have enough time to check everything before espionage when the I moved to ESA as they were the one who owned me lots of money as for 4 years they didn’t pay me what I was entitled too. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    iza said:
    Do they allowed to go so much back ?  
    Yes they are.

However if the overpayment was an official error on their part they are not allowed to recover it. You will need to find out more information about how the overpayment happened and if it was a mistake by the DWP you can challenge their right to recover the money. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • iza
    Options
    @calcotti, thank you very much for advice. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If the overpayment is because you failed;ed to tell them something then they can recover it. If they had all the correct information but made a mistake then you can challenge the recovery.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.