Hi, I'm MamaRudy! I'm looking for an in situ sling suitable for toileting, can anyone help? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm MamaRudy! I'm looking for an in situ sling suitable for toileting, can anyone help?

MamaRudy
MamaRudy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I’ve joined up to try and get some quite specific advice from anyone with similar experience! My Son is 26 abs has had a moulded wheelchair seat for about 8 months. It’s fantastic for posture control but a nightmare from my point of view. He hates an in situ sling and wants to always use a toileting one to eliminate the need to go from chair to
bed to toilet. Im trying to find out if anyone has used an in situ sling that is also suitable for toileting? Im struggling really badly with strain type injuries in my hands and wrists from taking the sling in and out and the OT is stumped as to what to do! 
Any advice very gratefully received! 
Thanks everyone x

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MamaRudy and a warm welcome to our community.  How are you and your son keeping today?

It sounds like a real struggle transfer wise for you, so please be careful and speak with your GP about those hand and wrist injuries if you think it might help.  

This isn't an area I'm particularly knowledgeable about unfortunately and my immediate thought was an OT, but you mention they are stuck too.  With this in mind, I've tentatively marked this thread as unanswered and amended the title to show your question (to make it more visible to others who might have wisdom!) and will do a little research and get back to you.

I hope you're doing well.  Take care and speak again soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
     Hi @MamaRudy - & welcome to the community. I've tried looking online, but I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. However, I did find one company that say they make bespoke slings, if you scroll down to the bottom of this page: https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/mobility-aids/moving-transferring-handling-aids/slings/NRS Secure Fit Sling
    Perhaps it might be worthwhile contacting them. they say, 'Call our customer services team on 0345 121 8111 for more information.'
  • MamaRudy
    MamaRudy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks Cher, yes I have spoken with my Gp and a physio regarding my hands and wrists. Thank you so much for your help.
    chiarieds thank you I will take a look. Our Social
    Services OT can get them made but they are really funny about the toileting shape causing rubbing tbh I can’t see why this would be a problem if you can wear normal clothing! I will check this company out though thank you xx
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Hi @MamaRudy I just wanted to see did you get to the bottom of this? (no pun intended!)
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.