Dog or cat person? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dog or cat person?

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
Although I like cats well enough I prefer dogs generally. 

With a dog you have an excuse to go for a walk and not look suspicious wandering about.
Also you can have a rough and tumble with a dog, not so easy with a cat.
Also if you have a dog sit on your lap they don’t tend to extend their claws in delight and scratch your legs.
Additionally they bark if there’s an intruder, and they are less independent which makes you feel needed.
And generally speaking they seem more sympathetic if you have troubles. 

How about you, which do you or would you prefer given a choice?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,660 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like both dogs and cats. We have a dog which I like but I can see the appeal of a cat and would consider having one if I lived on my own.

Our dog would be useless as a guard dog, though. If a burglar came in he wouldn’t bark, he would roll over for a tummy tickle!

I think you are right about dogs being more sympathetic. There is a saying that dogs have owners and cats have staff :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Options
    I like both but I'm definitely more of a dog person :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm a dog person but we have also had cats, sadly where we live now dogs aren't allowed on the private estate. :'(
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m definitely a cat person and have had cats all my life. I don’t dislike dogs but I would never have one myself.
    My cat is so loving and definitely knows when either me or my daughter are upset about something. He gives so much love and will give a kiss if you ask him by moving his head towards yours, he’s so sweet.  Shares my bed at night, well 3 quarters of it actually lol. Meows as if saying hello when you enter a room and comes downstairs when we come home if we’ve been out. I sometimes wonder if he thinks he’s half dog, half cat. ?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    I like both and have had both, my last cat died last August, she was 18...I have a dog now and if I could only have one or the other I'd always go for a dog...
    I like that a dog is supposed to be empathise,  and know when you're sad and comfort you but mine does none of that...I could be crying my eyes out and he'll be licking his bits probably hoping his meal time won't be affected....but I love him and would hate to be without him. :)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,502 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm a lover of cats, 1 of my cats used to buff his chest up and go out the door growling, to warn others he meant business. He used to sit in the window and growl and spit at sight of other cats walking past. 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've had both and also bred both cats and dogs 

I prefer dogs but find they can be tying if you can't take them where you are going , 

I don't have either presently as I couldn't look after a dog properly and my son is allergic to cats 
  • leeCal
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Ahh, very photogenic too. ? @Teddybear12

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Definitely a dog person :) I just feel that they give more back, but they are both lovely animals. Thank you
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I prefer dogs as they tend to like cuddles :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • snailpace
    snailpace Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    I am definitely a cat person. I grew up always having cats then when I got my own place I have had cats. The 2 I have at the moment are part Bengal/feral, that I love so much.
  • Dempseym
    Dempseym Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Options
    I love all animals, but pet-wise, I have always had dogs since a child.  When my boxer died I could not take the heartache of losing another dog.  I felt the place was so lonely and empty without him, so took a chance and rescued the first cat I have ever had.  At first did not know what to do with him.  However, all the myths about cats swiftly disappeared when I got Joe, what a character.  He died of hyperthyroidism many years later at which time I got two more cats one Millie (black and white) as the neighbour's cat has kittens, followed by Ceri, a grey Persian (absolutely adorable and loving) then I adopted two sisters from the rescue. I lost Millie just a few months ago and the pain is still the same as when I lost my boxer.  I always used to think cats were unloving and selfish but now I know they are just as loving as dogs.  When I was ill, I was diagnosed with Grade 4 cancer, Millie never left my side, she would lick my face and snuggle up to me when I was in pain, I think cats know!  I now have severe mobility issues from the chemotherapy and could never have the pleasure of a dog anymore as I cannot walk too far.  I am well and truly a cat fanatic, I adore them!  Anyone who says cats are not as loving as dogs has never met cats like mine.  I have 3 girls and Ceri is stil like a kitten even though she is 13 years old.  I adore them.   
  • leeCal
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Thank you for posting @Dempseym a very heartwarming account. ?

how is your health now as far as the chemo has gone?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• snailpace
    Options
    @Dempsey, Hi, I am like you in the fact that I love all animals, however I have always had cats for as young as I can remember. Since I moved away from home I had a cat from an animal shelter who was a 10 month old kitten, Katie, was with me for 6 years. She got sick and I had to let her go. She understood my health problems and when I was having bad days she never left my side. I have now got 2 part Bengal/feral cats who I have had from roughly the same age as Katie. They are now 12 years old and they follow me round the house and if I go upstairs for a lie down in the day they are usually snuggled up with me. I love my 2 boys and they have both been great comfort for me. I am glad you have 3 girls that you adore now ?
  • Dempseym
    Options
    I am permanently disabled and still under observation but by the grace of  Elohim, the Oncologist said it is a miracle I am still here!.  I pray always, I pray for all of my new friends here, and thank you for being there and understanding.  It helps so much to talk to like-minded people who know what it is like to cope with a disability, we are humbled and grateful for what we have yet treated as second-class citizens sometimes.  Love you guys!

• Dempseym
    Options
    Snailpace, you are a person of the same heart.  Cats are so comforting and intelligent, they know when you are ill or when you are sad and lie next to you it is so sweet.  I love my girls.  Joe, my first cat was like a dog, like your boys, he followed me everywhere and used to holler when I returned home, so sweet.  He was bit white with brown patches, adorable but quite naughty at times. 
  • snailpace
    Options
    @DempseymI don’t go out much. Though, if they see me putting on my coat, the go and lie in front of the front door and I have to distract them. Then, as soon as I come back, they are waiting for me to take off my coat and sit down, which is when the both want to jump on my knee for kisses and cuddles. When they were kittens I use to say that they were mischievous instead of naughty, though now at the age of 12 years old, they now can be and are naughty at times.
  • snailpace
    Options

@Dempseym, also reading your above post, I like yourself am permanently disabled and under 2 hospitals.I am really glad I have found this group, as I feel better being able to talk to people who understand and that won’t judge. It has made me feel a lot better and less alone. Take care, I will always have a chat and you can always leave a message xx
  • Dempseym
    Options
    As you have stated, I feel the same too, I feel less isolated and now have people I can trust not to judge me and who I feel confident sharing with.  I am so happy to find people like me and am grateful to Scope for creating a social network for disabled people like us to engage and find friendship.  You take care too and likewise I am always here for a chat and you can always leave me a message whenever you wish.  My son has a learning difficulty, as he says, I only like people like me because they don't judge me and accept me or treat me differently.  Take care too xx 
  • chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Options
    I love cats but I used to be afraid of dogs when I was a kid. Now I'm an adult, I learned how to overcome my fear of dogs and love them too. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.