Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

I have depression, anxiety and depersonalisation disorder. Has anyone experienced depersonalisation?

Options
Barbican1960
Barbican1960 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2021 in Mental health and wellbeing
I'm currently suffering from depression , high anxiety and depersonalisation disorder. The last week has been absolutely horrendous as I feel like i've disconnected from my old self , I don't know who I am in the way I used to be before this , its like i've died and i'm stuck in the limbo hell like state which belongs nowhere . I feel like nothing is real and i'm making everything up in my head , there are recent chunks of my life i can't remember and my flat seems unfamiliar and somewhere I don't want to be . It was so bad a few weeks ago I had to go to A and E as I felt I was losing control and going crazy . Having said this when I speak to other people I make perfect sense and i'm typing this now and telling this story but it still doesn't feel real . My old life feels like its gone and is so far away in the distance . I've seen a psychaitrist   today and  says it depersonalisation due to extreme anxiety which shuts down the brains way of processing information as it feels threatened . Its been the most terrifying trylu awful experience of my life and i just want to know if anyone else has had this ?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Barbican1960 :) Thanks for joining, it's great to have you with us.

I'm sorry that you've been experiencing depersonalisation recently. It's good that you've managed to speak to a psychiatrist, though, and that they were able to explain what's happening. Were they able to make any suggestions about what could be done to help you feel better? Are you able to access any therapy or medication moving forwards, for example?

I'm sure it must be scary, so thank you for reaching out. I can't remember off the top of my head whether we've had many people post here who've experience depersonalisation or not. I've moved your post into our mental health issues category so that others with a similar experience may be able to find your post more easily. I've changed the title of your post for the same reason. 

I found a blog from someone who's experience depersonalisation on Mind's website, which you might find helps you to feel less alone?

Mind also have a page on dissociation more generally, which contains some helpful information and explanations. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I had similar symptoms due to high anxiety and stress but mine is only brought on in extreme moments of realy high stress I recognise the start of it and I seek advice but I can at the moment control it as even though it feels realy bad to me it's only mild and doesn't happen all the time but when it does I have empathy for you it's horrible and you don't feel real feels like it's happening to someone else and you can't control anything 

I hope you are getting the help and support you need 

Take care 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,934 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Barbican1960 welcome to the forum, I can't relate personally but im glad you are getting help and getting answers. There is always someone here to talk to.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,687 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, I've also suffered depersonalisation on & off for years.  I'm not sure if there's anything I can offer to help though.  Oddly, I don't find it so frightening any more, just sort of accept it somehow.  It does seem to happen when anxiety & stress levels are permanently high so if you can reduce those, that may help.  I suspect it really needs meds when they're that high though, in my experience things like mindfulness and even TV & music don't have enough impact at that time.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.