I'm disabled, and just turned 65. Everything has gone wrong with benefits. What can I claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm disabled, and just turned 65. Everything has gone wrong with benefits. What can I claim?

arny
arny Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I am disabled in an unusual way but still disabled, i have now just turned 65 and everthing as gone wrong no housing benefit and others gone how can i find out what i can get if anything?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    HI,

Can you give us some more information please. Why has your housing benefit stopped? You also say "others have gone" what do you mean by this? Were you claiming other benefits that have now stopped?
    65 is under state pension age but do you live with a partner that has reached state pension age recently?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @arny :) Thanks for joining. 

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having some trouble with your benefits. Please do give us a bit more information if you feel able, as that'll help us to work out what might have happened and what you can do.

I've moved your post into our 'what benefits am I entitled to?' category, and tweaked the title so that other members can find your post more easily.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • arny
    do I have to re-apply for housing now I have reached 66  my housing benefit as stopped and i am trying to get by but all my pension well a lot of it is goig to pay for rent i rent a bomford housing bungalow
  • arny
    sorry i also am dissabled and i have a carer i have to pay aswell aswell as other out goings

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    arny said:
    do I have to re-apply for housing now I have reached 66  my housing benefit as stopped and i am trying to get by but all my pension well a lot of it is goig to pay for rent i rent a bomford housing bungalow
    In your opening post you said you had turned 65 - did you mean 66? It makes a big difference to the benefits you are eligible for.

If you did mean 66 and were already getting Housing Benefit it should continue but may be suspended for a period while they recalculate your entitlement based on your new circumstances.

If you were previously getting Universal Credit you will need to apply for Housing Benefit to get help with rent (assuming you live alone or if you have a partner your partner is also pension age).

You also said "everything as gone wrong no housing benefit and others gone". As previously advised, it is difficult to give advice without knowing what benefits you were previously getting and you haven't answered that.

If you have just turned 66 and were getting ESA or UC they are working age benefits which stop when you reach pension age. Have you applied for your State Pension (and Pension Credit)?

If you have applied for your State Pension and are still waiting that may be because there have been delays processing claims but DWP have said they will clear the backlog by October.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • arny
    I would like to thank you very much I have learned alot from this place/site I am now getting there, But i will say if your help was not open to people like me  i don't know what I would have done, I think the Gov could do alot more to make things a bit easier to poeple like me (not much Brain) I am at this time in a better Place thank you 
  • arny
    sorry I have Brain problems and other issues but it is still a very hard i did not meen any offence in any way to others I also would like to add that Hospitals that help me to be alive to-day thank you.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @arny

Thank you for your kind words to our members, they are a brilliantly supportive bunch who have helped so many people like yourself.  It's great to see that being recognised and complimented  <3

If you want to discuss any of the points mentioned by @calcotti more, then please do go ahead.  And just to reassure you - I'm sure you've caused no offence so there's no need to worry.

Take care and remember we're here should you need us.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.