Medical assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medical assessment

Options
Wookie66
Wookie66 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Does anyone have any idea how long the wait is at the moment for a medical assessment, for limited capacity for work, as i have been waiting since May.
I am struggling with bills and mogage, and am worried about losing my home. I have contacted the medical department but they won't give a timeframe, they just confirm your on the list.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,211 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Unfortunately, there's huge backlogs for work capability assessments and even longer if you need a face to face assessment. Are you claiming New style ESA or Universal Credit?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wookie66
    Wookie66 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    My ESA ended and i am currently on universal credit, which is only £506 a month,because my wife works. but this is dropping by £86 as of now, because they have stopped the covid extra payment.
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Once you're assessed if the decision is LCW then you will receive a work allowance which means that you'll be able to receive a certain amount of money before the 63% deductions apply. If the decision is LCWRA then that's an extra £343 per month too.
    Do you claim PIP or DLA? If you don't then have a look at the PIP criteria here. https://pipinfo.net/ This isn't means tested.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Lee99
    Lee99 Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Options
    I had a WCA in February via phone call and I'm still waiting for the decision huge backlog at the moment I've even asked several times for a copy of the report from the health care professional Only to be told it is only available after the decision despite getting one before the decision last time ! it must be very frustrating for you Waiting however you will have the payment back dated to the 3 month qualifying period
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Lee99 said:
    however you will have the payment back dated to the 3 month qualifying period
    Only if the decision is LCWRA. There’s no extra money if the decision is LCW.
  • Bogtrotter
    Bogtrotter Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I’m still waiting for a WCA the health assessment centre has been in receipt of my medical questionnaire since 7th Feb and I’ve heard nothing apart from a letter saying my esa will be stopping in Oct as it’s contribution based but they’ll credit me with national insurance . I’ve now lodged a complaint with DWP and the health assessors . The annoying thing is I’m in reciept of enhanced pip with an ongoing award and they know this . I’m not entitled either to UC . 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I’m still waiting for a WCA the health assessment centre has been in receipt of my medical questionnaire since 7th Feb and I’ve heard nothing apart from a letter saying my esa will be stopping in Oct as it’s contribution based but they’ll credit me with national insurance . I’ve now lodged a complaint with DWP and the health assessors . The annoying thing is I’m in reciept of enhanced pip with an ongoing award and they know this . I’m not entitled either to UC . 
    PIP and limited capability for work are 2 completely different benefits with different criteria. Claiming PIP doesn’t automatically entitle you to LCW. 
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 741 Pioneering
    Options
    Wookie66 said:
    Does anyone have any idea how long the wait is at the moment for a medical assessment, for limited capacity for work, as i have been waiting since May.
    I am struggling with bills and mogage, and am worried about losing my home. I have contacted the medical department but they won't give a timeframe, they just confirm your on the list.
    Very important to get your head around the fact it is not a medical assessment. Approach it as one and things tend to go badly wrong.
      miehughescq, at last the orrect approach to an assessment.  This is why people have so many problems with the assessment process.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.