No help what so ever — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No help what so ever

Options
Awesomelorenzo
Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
After I lost my job, I got really low for a few hours a day, I still do but...
Anyway, so I got in touch with mind, who were no help. Basically I got assessed on a good day on the phone for 50 mins. Everytime I tried to tell her how I felt, she said we had 50 minutes so to hurry up.
She said I scored low in depression and anxiety and put me on this silver cloud app thing. It didn't help, if anything it make me worse. Everytime I went on the app, I got in a really bad low mood.
But everytime I didn't go on it, my person said I had missed an appointment. I apparently missed 3 in a row and got kicked out. There was no phone calls, emails, nothing to even say I had an appointment. I'm not even sure how I was meant to turn up since it was on an app.
So now I'm not on anything and I still have really low moods. I'm not suicidal, even if I do think about it, they are just thoughts.
I don't know how to get help, I just want to talk everything through with someone, cause I am so anxious nowadays. The anxiety has got worse, but I can't talk to anyone.

Comments

• Rachel10876
    Rachel10876 Scope Member Posts: 81 Courageous
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that mind was no help but I’m a member of mind which that is pretty good, but once I phoned a charity to get help with my energy supplies, but I think the poor woman thought she knew what she was talking about but really she didn’t have a clue. If I’m honest. It’s all well and good too talk but at least know what you are on about. I think I knew more than her if I’m honest I’m clued up well with those types of things. Probably only because I don’t trust the benefits system or the government lol.
    I really know how you are feeling it’s a horrible thing to have and with the current situation we have all been in has been hard on everyone so that hasn’t helped either with things.
    Have you ever heard of CBT  ?
    kind Regards Rachel x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hello @Awesomelorenzo

Thank you for posting and being so honest, I'm sorry that you had no luck with Mind. Have you had any contact with your GP about how you feel? It might be worth speaking with them to see if they can arrange any support for you. 

Furthermore, you can always contact Samaritans on 116 123 or access the Shout service by texting "Shout" to 85258. I'm glad that you don't feel suicidal, but I'm sorry to hear that those kind of thoughts still enter your mind, do ensure you access immediate support if you ever feel as though those thoughts are causing you to become suicidal or are escalating at all, you can read information here from ReThink about how you can manage those thoughts.

You could consider referring yourself for a needs assessment with your local authority's adult services, and you can read further information about that here.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I didn't find Mind helpful either, just another service that seems to 'signpost' people round in circles...

The more I try to find 'help' for anxiety based issues though, the more I realise there isn't any!  All you'll find is 'support' with the expectation that you can help yourself...  Clearly that does work for some people, but others need something more which just doesn't seem to exist yet from what I can see.  :|
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 741 Pioneering
    Options
    I am sorry to hear of your experiences fo far, but would suggest you try again and ring Mind again.
      Explain that you are not very good with computer things or apps and could they suggest that they see you Face to Face.
    Your G P should be your first contact as they will have in the surgery a Nurse that deals with issues like your and they will do a preliminary examination/assessment which would sign post you to either a clinic or group that should help deal with day to day living, as far as your concerned.
      If you don't talk to your G P you won't get help.  This is the first step in the healing process, the fact that you mention it hear is great and am sure that ADMIN will point you in the right direction, or on other posts dealing or discussing help when needed.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For day to day living it would be a needs assessment you would need and you can refer yourself for this, here. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Totally agree @OverlyAnxious, I was once signposted from mind to another charity who then signposted me back to mind. In the end I gave up. It’s not nice because I had to be at my wits end before I phoned and then to be signposted here there and everywhere.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    leeCal said:
    Totally agree @OverlyAnxious, I was once signposted from mind to another charity who then signposted me back to mind. In the end I gave up. It’s not nice because I had to be at my wits end before I phoned and then to be signposted here there and everywhere.
    Yep, this has happened to me several times this year alone.  I'm a bit fed up of seeing all the awareness campaigns about recently.  Being aware of something is only useful if there's effective & accessible treatment to follow it.  I'm also a bit concerned that people without experience in this area are seeing these campaigns and believing that every mental health issue can be fixed by a quick chat over a coffee.

I've ended up back in exactly the same place I was in at the end of 2019 with regards to 'treatment'...  All a GP can do is make a standard referral to the same assessment centre that you end up at after self-referring to the local IAPT service.  The assessment centre can't (or won't?) use any text based communications which means that for someone who can't use telephones, let alone video phones, and is now housebound, I'm effectively unable to access any professional support for MH issues.
  • leeCal
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I'm a bit fed up of seeing all the awareness campaigns about recently.  Being aware of something is only useful if there's effective & accessible treatment to follow it.  I'm also a bit concerned that people without experience in this area are seeing these campaigns and believing that every mental health issue can be fixed by a quick chat over a coffee.
    @OverlyAnxious Couldn’t have said it better. I think everyone is aware of mental health issues now, now it’s time to come up with the funds to provide the services necessary to alleviate those mental health issues! 

Seems to me a lot of people make a fine living out of mental health, it’s time we saw some results.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• onebigvoice
    Options
    I'm afraid this is the system of today, they don't like missing steps and fast forward help.  In dealing with Drig abuse in Cardiff, you are right people that need help, do get " signposted " to many different departments, before they get help.  The one thing I don't like is when finally getting an " interview " for help and to get on the " program " if being weened off takes in excess of 10 weeks?
      Yes I now you say its self inflicted, but just to ask someone of help is a start, referals from a G P does help in most instances, and have also been on the butt end of being shown the door and comeback in about three months, in the mean time they ( so far as drugs are concerned ) you have to be tested before an administering of drugs that help.
      Some one close to me took months to get help and was seing the Nurse at the surgery for weeks before she refered them to a Doctor at Mind.   And the courses for pain management and mental health courses are always fully booked months in advance, they get around 30 referals for the course then they run the course.  Some courses are over 3 to 6 sessions once a week and you get a completion certificate which states you have attended the course to a satasfactory level then yes you guessed it you get refered back to another doctor, if you still feel you need help.
      I'm sorry there is no quick fix for this, and yes most of the " fix " revolves around you and the people around you, family, carer, partner.  As they have to be aware of your trigger points and have attended with the person and a few of these seminars as support for them and as a carer.
      Walking into a room or 20 to 30 people and have lecturers for a few hours every week is hard.
  • Awesomelorenzo
    Options
    Even getting a GP appintment takes a century.
    I phoned the other day and all they could offer was an appointment 2 weeks away. Until I told her the 111 app said to go to the GP, they wouldn;t let me in.
    It feels like the world is against you.
    My main anxieties are ghosts and death.
  • leeCal
    Options
    @Awesomelorenzo said
    I can understand the thought of death causing anxiety but not ghosts. Have you ever seen a ghost? Or are you just anxious about seeing one?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Awesomelorenzo
    Options
    leeCal said:
    @Awesomelorenzo said
    I can understand the thought of death causing anxiety but not ghosts. Have you ever seen a ghost? Or are you just anxious about seeing one?
    My sister reckons my dolls are haunted so then I started believing her. Very irrationale.
  • onebigvoice
    Options
    Sorry poppy123456 when I talk about daily living needs I mean the effort some tome just to get out of bed and motivation to do anything.
      Fibromialgia is an unseen illness that is only just being recodnised as a disability even though its been around for a while.
    Sorry if there is confusion about daily needs physically and mentally.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry poppy123456 when I talk about daily living needs I mean the effort some tome just to get out of bed and motivation to do anything.
      Fibromialgia is an unseen illness that is only just being recodnised as a disability even though its been around for a while.
    Sorry if there is confusion about daily needs physically and mentally.

I know what fibromyalgia is, i've had it myself for 10 years. Was diagnosed with it in 2013. Although i have no idea why you mention this because the thread is about mental health, so we are going off topic here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.