I Need A New Cooker.... pls read. Don't Judge Me — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I Need A New Cooker.... pls read. Don't Judge Me

Options
oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering

We had just after our Mom died a new cooker.
This was in 1986. Thirty five years ago.

Now today the cooker is virtually dead, the oven doesn't heat properly.

I live in Social Housing. Three years ago we had a complete heating replacement.
New boiler. New Piping and New Radiators.
In the kitchen which is very small the cooker was up in the corner and even thee Gas board in them days had trouble in squeezing the cooker past the radiator which was single panel.
The new radiator has two panels to it. It is much bigger than the previous one.

There is no way possible a new cooker will fit past this radiator, neither will the old one come out easily.
I would imagine that the system has got to closed down, the radiator will have to come off the wall then the new cooker fitted and then the radiator plumbed back in.
This is going to be a very expensive job that I have got to foot the bill. And I don't think I should have to pay for removal and refit of the radiator! Because the Housing Association fitted a bigger radiator they should remove this, with not one penny from me.

This is my opinion,  what do others think?
I would greatly appreciate some advice... thank you

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Is there nowhere else in the kitchen to possibly put the cooker?
    I thought I'd never get a dishwasher in my tiny kitchen but just removed a cupboard...
    Sorry, I've no clue on where you stand getting the housing association to pay.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,986 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @oldngrumpy noone is judging you. Have you spoke to the landlord about it. They offer a solution. That would be best place to start before you order a new cooker. As an alternative before you can get sorted, have you thought of buying a electric grill that u can fry on, there pretty good. Also actifrys and such.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi

Taking the radiator off the wall, whilst putting new cooker in, is not a big job.

Have you spoke to a local heating engineer, in essence you shut both valves, drain water from radiator and refit.

About 30 minutes to do.

Not sure about Housing Association being liable, you need to speak to them and see what they say.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Cress said:
    Is there nowhere else in the kitchen to possibly put the cooker?
    I thought I'd never get a dishwasher in my tiny kitchen but just removed a cupboard...
    Sorry, I've no clue on where you stand getting the housing association to pay.

I was just going to say the exact same thing. When i moved into my current house (almost 2 years ago) i had a dishwasher but my kitchen layout didn't accommodate the dishwasher. I was totally gutted because i had only bought a new one a few months before. So i ended up selling it.
    Fast forward to now, i've found a way to move things around, extend a couple of the dishwasher pipes and hey presto a dishwasher can be installed. Went shopping yesterday bought a new one and i have someone coming on Friday to do the work  :) 
    I would agree that you should to speak to your HA.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not sure a HA will help, but you should be able to find a decent second hand cooker for a good price, as for the radiator have the old one removed and a smaller one installed , I would guess around £200 for the whole job inc the cooker.
    Depending on what if any benefits you are on you maybe able to get a budgeting loan for it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Choose your new cooker carefully.  I've had 3 replacements in 6 years, modern appliances are not built to last like the old ones!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's not that much that can go wrong with an oven.....it could just be you need a new heating element, if the part can be found. Admittedly it was a few years ago, but in a private rental property we had the heating element was replaced for £80. However a new cooker can be from £160 -180; some with finance options, & from 50cm wide.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Your social housing provider might offer furniture packs so you might be able to get a cooker provided and pay weekly/monthly. 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @oldngrumpy
    Did you manage to speak to your housing association?
    Could they help?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When you say social housing.... are you saying it is Council? Housing association or Private Let?
    Private “let” (renting) is when a person owns a house and lets it out. Social housing is housing association/council.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.