Hi, my name is juneann! When I informed PIP of my new diagnosis they stopped my payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is juneann! When I informed PIP of my new diagnosis they stopped my payment

juneann
juneann Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hello all,im june i have COPD, asthma, and all over pain in joints and muscles.i was in receipt of pip till june 2019 when i was diagnosed with early onset diabetes.when i informed pip about my new diagnoses they stopped my payments i done all the appeals etc but still they knocked me back,any advise would be great thank you all 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Did you go to tribunal with your claim 

I would suggest you get some advice from welfare rights 

It may be worth reapplying but that depends on how you meet the descriptors and how we you present your case in your application form and assessment 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @juneann

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see that you have joined us. It sounds frustrating that additional diagnoses meant that your personal independence payment was stopped. Not least because additional diagnoses do not remove pre-existing diagnoses. According to Citizen's Advice, "what you can do depends on why the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) stopped or reduced your PIP. If you're not sure, you can: check any letters the DWP have sent you - they should explain what has happened and call the PIP enquiry line and ask them to explain". You can find further information at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/pip-changes-and-reviews/if-your-pip-is-stopped-or-reduced/. However, if you have any other questions or require further clarification, please do not hesitate to re-contact us  :)  
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @juneann

Welcome to the community, sorry to hear that you lost your PIP. I have moved your discussion over to our category dedicated to the subject. In addition to the above, you might wish to seek advice through Advice Local, to determine whether it would be worth applying again.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Many older people are now being told they have "early onset diabetes", the thing with diabetes is that you either have it or you don't, and once you have it you always have it.
    Also PIP isn't awarded for a medical condition or an illness but for how your daily living and/or mobility are affected.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited September 2021
    I thought it was possible to reverse diabetes in certain cases?
    I just had a google and it’s type 2 diabetes that can go in remission or partial remission.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It is possible to reverse early onset type 2 diabetes from what I am aware in some cases 

If you lose weight and follow a healthy diet reducing carbs and sugar intake 

Speak to your diabetes nurse who can advise best how to manage and control your diabetes 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.