Thoughts on today's cabinet reshuffle — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thoughts on today's cabinet reshuffle

Options
Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger

The BBC is currently reporting developments in today's reshuffle of the cabinet by Prime Minister, Boris Johnson.

The latest updates are:
Gavin Williamson is the first to go as he is sacked from his post as education secretary
Robert Buckland is sacked as justice secretary
Robert Jenrick says he is proud of what his department achieved as he goes from his role as communities secretary

Do you have any thoughts, fears, hopes or other changes you'd like to see?

If so, tell us in the comments below.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Raab shuffled sideways, and good riddance to Williamson who has been a disaster at education.
    Scking Patel from the home office would be a big thank you
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    I personally don’t think a reshuffle will make one iota of difference.
    I think what’s needed most is a decent opposition and that’s a long way off as far as I can see.
  • woodbine
    Options
    It's starting to look a little like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I preferred it the other side of the sofa tbh...  ;)

On a serious note though, I can't see it making much difference either.
  • nandbkieren
    nandbkieren Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Like the deckchairs on the Titanic. We need this Conservative Gornment out of office.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Without getting too political, I also sort of like Boris and agree he's done the best possible job during the pandemic and his govt. has done their best to support workers.
    As far as Labour goes they are in opposition, they don't have to come up with any ideas until the next election.

• Duninn
    Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Everybody is entitled to opinion - refusing to shut down when advised, no PPE, discharging untested elderly to care homes, diabolical test + trace system, private contracts awarded to companies owned by friends + family, refusal to provide school meals and then only by intervention by a footballer did they agree, Income Support £20 take away,  no deal on Community Care as promised, failure to offer or address disability needs and and and.  It was never going to be an easy thing to manage but a good job?  Opposition Party kept the promise of working for the National good, scrutinise, question, challenge + advise.    
  • woodbine
    Options
    Yes they made mistakes but this was the first true pandemic in a 100 years so it was never going to be perfect, put on the positive side over 80% of all over 16's have had both jabs thats some achievement and with the planned booster jabs will hopefully take some pressure of the NHS as we approach winter.
    As for the £20 UC "takeaway" I think people forget that it was originally planned to last just 12 months at the cost of £6 billion, it was then extended by six months at a cost of another £3 billion, it simply can't go  on forever, and lots of people never even got an extra £20 (ESA for one).
    And they are starting to tackle social care with an increase in N.I. totalling 2.5% for every worker (well almost every), a problem largely ignored by every single government we have ever had since 1948.

• Duninn
    Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
    Options
    social social is not being tackled - everything is being  targeted to reducing nhs - they have a need too - then when targets are achieved there the additional money will be taken away to increase funding for social care, a promise and not a guarantee.  The poorer communities are the hardest hit. As I said we all have opinions. 
  • abbyk41
    abbyk41 Community member Posts: 96 Connected
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Christ almighty no wonder this country is f***** he's trying his best my ****. You guys on benefits to what q shame no wonder the tories are laughing.
    So let's talk about the fact that he had some very dodgy contracts that he gave money to people that he knew like let's look at the contracts and people in the government and then of course we've got the fact that they're trying to privatise the NHS by the backdoor the fact that they've turned so many people against the NHS even though the NHS is a good thing but as per GDP we don't spend anywhere near as much as other countries do and then of course let's look at this new thing he's done to help improve social care Woodbine thinks it's a great thing well let me tell you it is going to target the poor the people that have got the assets are not going to be paying aa much per percentage as the poorer workers will be. 
    Today labour voted to stop universal credit cut by the way 40 percent of universal credit folks are Workinh yes you right they should have done it to esa but they didn't 
  • abbyk41
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Its  the most incompetent [Removed by moderator – defamatory content, please see community house rules.] self serving gov that we got but you get the politics you deserve I guess his bumbling messy hair is working on the gullible public hey 
  • abbyk41
    Options
    I would be scared if I need hospital treatment as nhs won't be here much longer this gov wants it gone but they can't do it obvious it's sly with privatisation etc 
  • abbyk41
    Options
    Duninn said:
    social social is not being tackled - everything is being  targeted to reducing nhs - they have a need too - then when targets are achieved there the additional money will be taken away to increase funding for social care, a promise and not a guarantee.  The poorer communities are the hardest hit. As I said we all have opinions. 
    Spot on and it's a pity folks can't see that but I blame the right wing papers 
  • abbyk41
    Options
    Teddy yes they have said what they would do but as I say that's why this country gone to the dogs working classes voting for these eton lot oh yes they got money to waste on dodgy contracts to mates that hit you By? 
  • abbyk41
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Talk about labour and money christ the tories spend loads waste it [Removed by moderator – defamatory content, please see community house rules.] 
  • abbyk41
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Cabinet reshuffle nadine dorrries [Removed by moderator – defamatory content, please see community house rules.]  look at her tweets doesn't think gays should be married and yes thinks the left are affecting pantos a strange tweet she put out ages ago [Removed by moderator – defamatory content, please see community house rules.] 
  • abbyk41
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Final.rant this reshuffle was done today to cover up not voting for universal credit but there you go why they picked today's date to take that off the front page they always do this 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Doesn't realy matter who is in the government they are all as bad as one another false hopes and promises they can't keep 
  • abbyk41
    Options
    Doesn't realy matter who is in the government they are all as bad as one another false hopes and promises they can't keep 
    Normally I would agree with you and on the whole I think that's what is correct I do think though that this government is really bad it's like the worst government I've ever seen in my life
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Although to a large measure I agree with the second half of your sentence I don’t agree that this leads to the conclusion contained in the first half.

All governments seem to end up disappointing their core supporters but when faced with policy decisions their underlying inclinations do make a difference. 

That the current Secretary of State at the DWP appears not to understand how earnings affect UC says a lot about their commitment to supporting those in need.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.