Carer/ friend problems — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Carer/ friend problems

I posted a few months ago about my situation but I lost my nerve and didn’t do anything about it. 
However, things have escalated since then. It all kicked off a few weeks ago. My carer was trying to force me, through guilt, to do something I’d already told her I couldn’t do repeatedly. I obviously got quite upset and stayed in my room for the rest of the day. She then stood in my doorway with her arms crossed and I felt quite intimidated. She kept telling me I needed therapy and that I was imagining things. And when I got really upset about not being able to trust my own brain (I have PTSD) she went back on that and said I wasn’t. I’ve spent so much time confused and disorientated when she’s around me. My history of trauma is triggered constantly and I’m suffering with flashbacks and nightmares because of it. 

My carer has since left as I needed space. I’m now finding myself dreading her return and honestly I don’t want her to come back. 
She’s told people I’ve kicked her out when it was her idea to give me some space. She text me this morning saying ‘whatever is going on with you, you should probably go to the doctor’. I’m upset that needing some space so I can breathe and think automatically means I’m having some kind of breakdown. I don’t know what she’s told other people about where she’s gone and I’m just so tired of having to deal with this all the time. 

I don’t think she realises half of the thing she’s doing but it still doesn’t change the way it makes me feel. I’m so stuck on what to do and I hate that everyone thinks I’m the bad guy when I’m only trying to do what’s best for me and not other people 

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.