Hi, my name is Ludorum! Any advice on claiming benefits and what I'm entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is Ludorum! Any advice on claiming benefits and what I'm entitled to?

Ludorum Member Posts: 2 Listener
I have recently been diagnosed with COPD. I am 59 years old and work part time. I have found work a struggle for the last 2 years especially during the heat of the summer. 
Any advice on how I proceed to claim benefits and what benefits I am entitled to?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,839 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 22

    Have you spoke to your employer about reasonable adjustments. https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-workers
    A diagnosis doesn't automatically entitle you to any benefits.
    SSP from your employer is payable for 28 weeks so you should look at claiming this if your health affects your ability to work.
    Universal Credit can be claimed along side the SSP but whether you're entitled to anything will depend on your financial circumstances. As it's a means tested benefit, if you live with a partner you claim as a couple. You should use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=087529c9-c22d-4b61-9c0f-8459b3040121 If you claim UC as well as SSP then you should report your health condition and send in fit notes from your GP to start the work capability assessment process off.
    If you've worked and paid the correct amount of NI contirbutions in the previous 2 tax years then a claim for New style ESA maybe possible. You can start a claim 3 months before your SSP ends but you won't receive any payments until your SSP has ended.
    PIP maybe possible but it will depend on how your conditions affect you because it's not awarded based on any diagnosis. This benefit has replaced the old DLA. Details in link. https://pipinfo.net/


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.