PIP Update. I’m panicking. I got a text saying I have a phone consultation in October, after renewal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Update. I’m panicking. I got a text saying I have a phone consultation in October, after renewal

Options
bea1980
bea1980 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all

a while ago I posted about my PIP renewal. I received a letter stating they were extending my PIP until 16th December.

This morning I got a text from the DWP stating they have booked me a telephone consultation for 7th October. I went into a full anxiety attack to the point I was physically sick. I don’t really like talking to people on the phone and I stated in my forms I wanted my assessment recorded due to the lies that get told. I got the text at 8:30 this morning and I’ve not stopped crying and shaking since. I don’t know what to do. 

Any advice to get through this or how I can record the conversation on my phone.

many thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

I'm sorry to hear that this is causing so much anxiety. Do you have someone that can be there with you during the phone call, you will be able to put the phone onto loud speaker.
    Unfortunately, they don't record PIP assessments. You can record the call yourself but you would need to tell them in advance that you will be doing this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bea1980
    bea1980 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi Poppy

Thanks for the reply. I don’t have anyone available to be with me at that time. I usually get help with all my PIP related issues with a local charity that fills in my forms, badgers the DWP etc but they are between staff right now and still not doing face to face meetings. I also don’t have the best phone reception in my house and when I do have to talk to people on the phone my voice becomes really quiet due to my anxiety and stress so I’m worried they’ll either mishear me and misquote me (nothing new there even with face to face).

i even put a cover letter in my renewal forms stating I have severe depression anxiety etc and can’t cope with the lies that atos/dwp tell and that I would rather be dead than put through all that again. I’ve claimed PIP 3 times and always failed but won at tribunal. But the long drawn out process makes me constantly on edge. Plus if they do stop my money on December 16th I really don’t know how I’m going to cover my bills which also adds to my already anxious state. 

Sorry for rambling 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @bea1980

Good to see you posting again, thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear of the impact the text from this morning has had on you, how are you feeling at the minute? I'm not sure if you are aware of these self-help tips from Mind for anxiety, but I hope they can be helpful for you at this time.

It's concerning to read about the constant crying and shaking since the call, do you have any other techniques in place to manage your mental health and are you in contact with your GP about it? Are they aware of how it impacts you? If your shaking and other symptoms continue, you might want to call 111 to get some professional medical advice for your anxiety levels. Some places you could contact for further support or just a chat include:
    For support with your benefit claim, you could contact Citizens Advice, your local Welfare Rights or you could find other kinds of local help through Advice Local.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.