What is classed as permitted work? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

What is classed as permitted work?

flitab Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi Everyone. I have been receiving contribution based esa since April and have not had a work assessment yet. I sent a copy of my uc lcwra letter to the dwp as suggested previously on here but have heard nothing back yet. I feel like I could manage a couple of hours, spread over a week, of book keeping at home again. Would this be classed as permitted work? I cannot find anywhere a list of work allowed. I would only be paid £20 per week.
Thanks in advance for any help.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,843 Disability Gamechanger
    Wheh claiming both NsESA and UC there is only one WCA. There's no financial gain when claiming both together though but your ESA pays class 1 NI credits and UC pays class 3.
    For ESA the permitted work rules are that you must make sure that you work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £143 per week. There's no specific list of what work is allowed. Providing the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons why you're claiming ESA.
    As you're claiming UC as well then you will need to report the changes onto your journal. You will have a work allowance which means you can earn either £293 if you claim for help with the rent or £515 if you don't, before any deductions will be made on your UC.

  • flitab
    flitab Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you poppy123456 for your reply. I will follow the link and download the form and make a decision on what to do. 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.