Ear Defender Recommendations — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Ear Defender Recommendations

OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,649 Disability Gamechanger
Can anyone recommend a set of ear defenders that work well for 'daily' noises and are comfortable enough for someone with over sensitivities to touch as well?

There are so many on ebay I have no idea which to go for.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 334 Pioneering
    Hi @OverlyAnxious

There really is too many to choose from aren't there. I am more of a headphones type person myself as I need noise to block out noise if that makes sense. However, I have heard great things about the 3M Peltor Optime III Earmuffs with Headband, 35 dB which you might like to review! Though, if anyone else has any other ideas, please do let us know because I am certain that would be really appreciated  :D
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Any other recommendations before I commit to those ones?  :)
  • MaisieBoohoo
    MaisieBoohoo Member Posts: 32 Connected
    Hi
    i would look on Amazon 1st as the reviews on their May give you better idea then go to eBay to buy ( but I find ebay is often more expensive these days)
    good luck
  • L_Volunteer
    Unfortunately, they are the only ear defenders I am aware of @OverlyAnxious but please don't commit to anything before others share their ideas unless you wish to as they may have even better ideas!  :) And very good point @MaisieBoohoo, thanks for sharing your insights with us  :)
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • OverlyAnxious
    I did buy those over the weekend, they're highly rated on Amazon and sane price there and eBay.

They work well to block out noise...BUT I can't wear them because they make me dizzy!  I can't use in-ear headphones for that reason, but hoped these would be more suitable.

Not sure there's anything different I can try to block out noise without making me dizzy.  :|
  • APickle
    APickle Member Posts: 11 Connected
    A client with ADHD recommended Loop earplugs to me- said they really helped her focus. 
    https://www.loopearplugs.com/
  • L_Volunteer
    Oh no @OverlyAnxious! So sorry to hear this  :( I have vestibular migraine which involves a lot of vertigo so I can similarly relate with the feeling of being dizzy. Unfortunately, I am not sure what could help here. I hope other people have more knowledge in this area and can help! On that note, thanks @APickle for the recommendation  :D

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.