How can I find out when my SSP stops? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I find out when my SSP stops?

Options
Yvette48
Yvette48 Community member Posts: 48 Connected
edited September 2021 in Work and employment
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can find out when my ssp stops please. I've asked my manager today at my final formal meeting and he said that I shouldn't be getting it anymore from 20/08/21. I received a payment from work in September's pay and I'm claiming esa. I hope someone will be able to help me so I can get it sorted out first thing on Monday. Thankyou. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    You are entitled to SSP for a maximum of 28 weeks. Your employer should give you form SSP1 confirming the end date. It’s a legal requirement for them to do so. Normally you need this in order to claim ESA.
    This was discussed in your previous thread on the same subject
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/84100/ive-been-paid-ssp-alongside-esa-have-i-done-something-wrong#latest
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Yvette48
    Options
    Thankyou @calcotti. Yes I know it was and that's why I asked for it today when I went for my meeting. I have it but he doesn't actually know the end date, he's worked it out and said that he believes I should of been paid it this month. I need to know if there's a number you can ring so I can try and find out myself. 
  • calcotti
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Yvette48 said:
    .. I have it but he doesn't actually know the end date, he's worked it out and said that he believes I should of been paid it this month. 
    What do you mean he’s given it to you but doesn’t know the end date. Has he given you a blank form? The employer is responsible for working it out and is required to give you a completed form which confirms the end date.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/statutory-sick-pay-employee-not-entitled-form-for-employers
    Employers must fill in the SSP1 form when an employee is not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or when their SSP is ending.
    (Presumably you know when you went off sick and started getting SSP so you should be able to check the date yourself - but you still need your employer to give you a completed SSP1.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Yvette48
    Options
    @calcotti, he's given me the forms and filled it in but left the end date blank as because I got paid this month he's not sure when the end date is. He's told me to ring the number on the form and see if they can help me. Apparently I'm the first person who's ever asked for one. 
  • calcotti
    edited September 2021
    Options
    It’s your employer’s responsibility to work this out.

You shouldn’t have to ask for an SSP1, an employer is supposed to issue one to anyone who has used up their SSP allowance.

As the page I referenced above says “An employer must ...”.
  • Yvette48
    Options
    @calcotti Thankyou for your response. 
  • calcotti
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Just remembered there is an SSP calculator for employers here
    https://www.gov.uk/calculate-statutory-sick-pay
    Calculation will include end date.
  • Yvette48
    Options
    Thankyou @calcotti, I will have a look at that calculator. I've gone through all my wage slips dating back to December and I think I've worked it out. Thankyou for you help. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I still don't understand how you managed to claim ESA without the SSP1 form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yvette48
    Options
    @Poppy123456 hi, I filled the form out online and it didn't ask for ssp1 form. I only found out what it was when you told me because esa never asked me for it. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.