Industrial injuries benefit - help please on qualifying criteria — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Industrial injuries benefit - help please on qualifying criteria

I had two accidents at work recorded and accepted as accidents at work, reported and confirmed as Industrial accidents.  One in 1997 and the second in 2006.  This year i have been medically retired from work due to my long term health condition, 15 years beore i reach pension age.  Both these accidents at work are contributory to my ongoing illness and disabilities.  Can I make a claim for IIDB?  I would appreciate any advice from the community - thank you


  • HJP290
    HJP290 Member Posts: 30 Connected
    Hi i recieve this benifit 

    its judge on % off your loss of faculty 

    Eg so mine started with it affecting my legs and back and was judged at 37% loss comapared to pre accident 

     you do need evidence the form asks for witnesses of the accidnet in question . 

    Then consultants letters stating that this as contribuated to the loss of faculty /disability . 

    Hope this helps . 

  • wagthedog13
    wagthedog13 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi Jimbob 
    Thank you for your reply.
    It was something I was just thinking over as both accidents affected my back and I now have degenerative spinal disease and been medically retired. I will look into the qualifying criteria a little further but it may be worth making a claim. Your response is very much appreciated, thank you. 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,797 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 25
    Nothing to stop you claiming at this point at all but obviously your proof of incidents will need to be solid after all this time. Important to remember that the test after that is not loss of faculty itself but loss of faculty in direct consequence of those incidents. Proving that is not straightforward and you will need at least one specialist in your corner. 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.