My son and his girlfriend are looking to move in with me. Will this affect mine or their UC? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

My son and his girlfriend are looking to move in with me. Will this affect mine or their UC?

kirstycassidy Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 27 in Universal Credit (UC)
I’m in receipt of universal credit for me and 4 children. I have pip standard rate on both mobility and care. 2 of my children have dla 1 high on both mobility and personal the other low mobility with middle care
My son 28 years and his girlfriend 26 years are both disabled son on pip low mobility high care
his Girlfriend has high on both mobility and personal
thdy are currently in their own home on u oversaw credit. 
They are looking at moving in with me as they are struggling. Will they continue to get universal credit as a couple plus will it affect my universal credit? It’s hard to find things on it. I know I’ll only have 1 lot of housing costs such is obvious. But will we still get our standard allowances?
thanking anyone whom can help. 
It’s awkward as the children are there’s but I have the parental rights as they were awarded to me grandma in court. They can never have pr agaiin or claim benifits for the children. 
Surly they would still get their individual amounts and I too? 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,844 Disability Gamechanger

    Each of your UC claims will continue as they are now. There will be no non dependant deductions because of the PIP claims. Your son will not be able to claim for help with any rent while he's living with you.
    If you're currently the only adult in the house when your son moves in you will lose the 25% single person discount on your council tax. There could potentially be a carers discount available but you will need to speak to your local Authority for this. All changes need to be reported. Details in this link. Scroll down to exemptions.

  • kirstycassidy
    kirstycassidy Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Phew!! This is what I’d hoped. I’ve just recently claimed carers for one of the children so I think that’s all I can get. So his and his girlfriends allowance will stay the same? I was just worried as when I tried one of the calculators it had the same price on my universal credit wether I added them onto it or not..😬 so would they just call to say moving or do I have to add them as non dependent adults onto mine? I’m worried I/we will loose out as I though I read somewhere about them loosing their couple allowance… they really need the support but with me having such big costs with the children .. I couldn’t afford to keep them too.. 🥲 
  • kirstycassidy
    kirstycassidy Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Can I ask how you know this? Xxx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,844 Disability Gamechanger
    Can I ask how you know this? Xxx

    Because you're financial circumstances are completely different, it would be a little ridiculous if they weren't. Which is what the benefit calculator suggested.
    If they are claiming for help with any rent at the moment then this will stop once they move in with you. Yes, they will need to report the changes onto their journals. You should also report it too because they will be non dependents but as advised there will be no deductions for this.
    Are you privately renting or social housing? Do you have another bedroom for them to sleep in?
    You mentioned you've recently claimed carers allowance, have you reported being a carer onto your journal? If you haven't you need to do this because then you will have the carers element added onto to your UC. The carers allowance will be deducted in full from your UC and will be paid separately.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.