My wife will get her state pension in November 2021. How will this affect my benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My wife will get her state pension in November 2021. How will this affect my benefits?

murph57
murph57 Member Posts: 1 Listener
My wife will get her state pension November 2021,how will this affect my benefits e.g carers allowance,income support and housing benefit & council tax reduction

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,720 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You are classed as a mixed aged couple which will mean you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent. Your wifes State Pension will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Whether there will be any entitlement to UC will depend on your circumstances and how much your wife's state pension will be.
    Does your wife claim PIP or DLA and if so what award does she currently have?
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,429 Disability Gamechanger
    @murph57, hello and welcome.I was claiming ESA snd was advised by the CAB to claim UC before my retirement date which was 4 days away. Any we are now receiving UC and as @poppy123456 has stated deductions are made reference, my pension Carer’s allowance and my legacy ESA benefit.so from an allowance of £1640 after deductions we get a grand total of £458 which will be reduced after the UC uplift removed this month. Still get council tax reduction.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,720 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    @murph57, hello and welcome.I was claiming ESA snd was advised by the CAB to claim UC before my retirement date which was 4 days away. Any we are now receiving UC and as @poppy123456 has stated deductions are made reference, my pension Carer’s allowance and my legacy ESA benefit.so from an allowance of £1640 after deductions we get a grand total of £458 which will be reduced after the UC uplift removed this month. Still get council tax reduction.

Your circumstances at the time you claimed UC were different because you were claiming ESA and you were in one of the groups. Your ESA award would have transferred to UC, which is why you were advised to claim UC before you reached Stae pension age.
    The OP claims Income Support so their circumstances are very different. The LCWRA element will not automatically be added if the wife isn't claiming either high rate DLA care or Enhanced daily living PIP.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,344 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 27
    poppy123456 said: You are classed as a mixed aged couple which will mean you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent. 
    Further information is needed to assess this.

OP
    Are you younger than your wife?
    Are you the IS claimant?

If the answer to both these questions is yes (which I infer it is from the way your question is phrased), although you will become a mixed age couple, you can remain on your existing benefits until you in turn reach pension age.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/housing-benefit-adjudication-circulars-2019/a92019-mixed-age-couples-further-guidance

Your wife's pension income will be taken into account in full but the calculation of your IS maximum entitlement will include an additional amount known as a pensioner premium.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,344 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 27
    I should have added that provided you are still eligible for some IS you will continue to be entitled to maximum HB and CTR. Whether or not there is IS entitlement will depend on how much pension your wife receives.

It think it unlikely that you would be better off if you chose to claim UC (even if your wife would be found to have Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity) but you would need a full benefits check to confirm whether or not this is the case.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.