I have been told several times to my face that disability and epilepsy are fake. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have been told several times to my face that disability and epilepsy are fake.

sben
sben Community member Posts: 43 Connected
I have been told several times to my face that disability and epilepsy are fake.

Comments

• nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    sben said:
    That's horrific,sben.people can be so cruel and judgemental. I've been told that disability is a punishment from God. And I should pray instead of fearing death or becoming more disabled. This was someone who thinks the earth is flat and covid vax is DNA altering poison.?
    I'm fed up with people who have no understanding of our issues telling disabled people how to live or doubting us. How dare they.keep your head high,sben live your life how you choose, don't be intimidated by ignorant cruel people.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I've been told that my physical disability is all in my mind and if I think positive I won't be disabled anymore.

I was also told by a candidate in my local elections that I couldn't call myself disabled as he didn't like the word!  Suffice to say, he didn't get my vote.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    I have had epilepsy for 24 years now, started when I was 38 after my second stroke, I have thankfully only had positive comments from people, although I must admit I don't go round telling people only very close friends know, unless they witness me having a seizure.

It does amaze me though that in 2021 there is still a stigma attatched to epilepsy which is rather sad, especially when there are over 500,000 of us with the condition.

And for what it's worth I do think that scope could be more proactive in raising awareness about epilepsy. (gets down off soapbox).
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I think there is alot more scope can do about alot of other things but they are short staffed like every where else I expect its hard to fit in what they already do 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.