How far back can you claim for Carers Allowence — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

How far back can you claim for Carers Allowence

sara477 Member Posts: 26 Connected
Hi everyone. I recently went through my pip review and my award has remained enhanced/enhanced. My daughter was caring for me until she decided to start working in April 2021 she didn’t claim carers Allowence my son also lives with me and has taken over the responsibilities of looking after me. He is on universal credit. I don’t receive SDP because they live at home. So how far back can I claim Carers Allowence for. 
  Many thanks 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,694 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 28

    It can be backdated for a maximum of 3 months but when claiming UC there's no financial gain to claiming both of those together because the carers allowance is deducted in full from any UC entitlement, so if he's been claiming UC for the whole of the 3 months he won't be owed any money as such because CA will pay him the 3 months and then he'll have an overpayment for UC. The only difference being that UC pays class 3 NI credits and CA pays class 1. The only good thing is that carers allowance can be paid weekly so it can help budgeting a little easier.
    He can claim the carers element of UC which is an extra £163.73 per month and you don't need to claim Carers allowance to be entitled to this. Although unless he reported being your carer onto his journal previously then it will be extremely difficult to get this backdated.
  • sara477
    sara477 Member Posts: 26 Connected
    Hi x once again thank you poppy123456. So it’s better to go for Carers element. Can he apply for this on his journal. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,694 Disability Gamechanger
    For the carers element he needs to report the changes onto his journal. With this his work commitments will change and he'll be in the no work requirements group so won't be expected to look for work or attend any appointments.
    He can still apply for Carers allowance if he wants to but do be aware of the earnings limit that comes with it.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.