Finally had pip phone assessment!!!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finally had pip phone assessment!!!!

RoxyC
RoxyC Community member Posts: 40 Connected
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
So after what felt like FOREVER.... finally had pip assessment. So my mum is my appointee due to severe hearing loss and it having to be a phone assessment. It went well and the assessor seemed pleasant enough. Now to just wait to see if the report reflects what was discussed. ??‍♀️ I'd be happy to just receive enough to cover the costs of my medication. ????????????????

Comments

• Justcheckingin15
    Justcheckingin15 Community member Posts: 370 Pioneering
    Good Luck @RoxyC.. Do Let us know the outcome.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck @RoxyC :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hoping all goes well @RoxyC :)
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @RoxyC, hello and welcome, now that you have had your PIP assessment you can relax, wait a week or so then phone DWP and request a copy of your assessment report and on receiving it you can work out what your award may should be but you still have to wait for the DWP official award notification letter. By having the report and see what your PIP award may be and if may reveal unexpected comments about your abilities ect. Try to ignore these comments and focus on what the  HP has scored you reference the PIP descriptors. If you have been awarded less than what you think or feel was a wrong decision then when the official award notification letter arrives you can request an mandatory reconsideration. Where your claim is looked at again by another decision maker. If you think you will want or need to submit an MR you now have time on your side to collect more information and evidence to support your MR and hopefully get the right PIP award.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    wilko said:
     Try to ignore these comments and focus on what the  HP has scored you reference the PIP descriptors. If you have been awarded less than what you think or feel was a wrong decision then when the official award notification letter arrives you can request an mandatory reconsideration
    The HCP doesn't score anyone any points, only a decision maker can do this. The HCP makes recommendations only. Although the decision maker mostly goes with the report but not always.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RoxyC
    @wilko

I have resigned myself to the fact that MR would be the next step anyway. Only 4 out of 10 applications are currently successful so I've been preparing for an MR since I applied back in February. ??‍♀️ thanx for your advice 
  • RoxyC
    Are you assuming that I dont suffer from ill mental health? 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hi @RoxyC :) I don't think that mikehughescq was trying to make an assumption about your mental health, just referencing that you'd said the following in your original post.
    So my mum is my appointee due to severe hearing loss
    As the gov.uk page says:
    You can apply for the right to deal with the benefits of someone who cannot manage their own affairs because they’re mentally incapable or severely disabled.

Does that make sense?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456

DWP have a long and inglorious history with inappropriate appointeeships and its best dealt with head on as so many things can go badly wrong in too many circumstances to leave the matter unaddressed. 

I'll totally agree with that. When i became my daughters appointee i thought i would have had to prove that she wasn't capable of managing her own PIP claim. Someone came to the house to fill out the form, they spoke to my daughter just to "say hello" and nothing else. They didn't even ask her if she agrees for me to be her appointee.
    She does have a learning disability and ASD, can't even count the money in her purse and has very little understanding of a lot of other things in life and most definitely wouldn't be capable of managing her own benefit claims so having an appointee is a must for her.
    I can quite understand how some people may abuse this system and for this reason DWP should be checking why a person may need an appointee.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Shelly68
    Shelly68 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi I've only just applied for PIP. Presume it's taking a long time 
  • poppy123456
    Shelly68 said:
    Hi I've only just applied for PIP. Presume it's taking a long time 

Hi,
    The timescale is about 10 months from applying to having a decision because backlogs are huge. If it's less than this you're one of the lucky ones.
  • poppy123456

Those 500 were of course the tip of a much larger iceberg. Even as they were reviewing them there were visitors granting appointeeship to people because the claimant couldn't physically go cash their money, which is no basis for appointeeship at all. Inevitably still goes on. 

Wow that's shocking!
  • Shelly68
    Wow thanks for that. Had a feeling it would be a long time. They never hurry.
  • poppy123456
    Shelly68 said:
    Wow thanks for that. Had a feeling it would be a long time. They never hurry.

Well to be fair, we are in the middle of a pandemic. Things may seem like they are starting to return to normal but it's far from normal. DWP and the health assessment providers continue to work from home and have done since the pandemic started. Many thousands of people are claiming PIP so backlogs do happen, even in normal times.
  • Shelly68
    I've put in a claim for PIP. Due an op on my knee in 3 weeks again. The scary thing is I don't think I'll be able to come back to my job due to the problems I keep having. I'm just waiting now
  • poppy123456
    PIP isn't about your ability to work, people claim PIP and work. Part of the criteria for PIP is that you must expect to have the conditions for at least 9 months. Having an operation on your knee may go against you because they wouldn't usually do the op unless they expect an improvement in your condition.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.