I have dysphasia, back, hip and leg pain, and facet joint arthritis. Any pain management advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have dysphasia, back, hip and leg pain, and facet joint arthritis. Any pain management advice?

Options
LisaGr8
LisaGr8 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I’m new to this group I’m 36 nearly 37 I have been back and forth to the doctors for years I found out in 2015 that I had hip impingement with slight dysphasia as I’ve been suffering with back hip and leg pains for years since then I’ve seen different surgeons and I’ve only now in the last 2 weeks had an MRI on my lumber spine which the results came back today telling me I also have moderate L5/S1 facet joint arthritis on the left side and on the right side in the L3/S1 I have mild degeneration I’m currently waiting to have prolapse surgery as well as keyhole surgery on my hips too and as I’ve read a little bit on the facet joint arthritis I’m pretty sure my neck is affected as well is there any advance on what I can and can’t do to manage the pain I’m on codeine amatrictalin and naproxen for my pain already I’ve also just started and access course in nursing and midwifery so I can go uni so I’m also wounding if it is slow progressing or fast and if it’s worth me carrying on with my studies to eventually become a paediatric nurse or give up now I also have five children too which obviously hasn’t helped with my disability I’ve also never tried to claim pip/disability or anything for my health problems do you also think it would be a good idea to try 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. No one here will be able to tell you whether you would qualify because we don't know how your conditions affect you.
    There's some information here that may help you. https://pipinfo.net/ Once you've read that if you think you qualify then there's no harm in ringing DWP to start a claim. Or you can get some expert advice from an agancy near you so you can tell them more about how you're affected and they will be able to advise you further. For this, start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LisaGr8
    LisaGr8 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for that I will look at them I’m definitely affected doing daily things even days out with the kids to museums etc are a no no these days I have to sit down a lot and I also get temporary paralysis in one or both legs which is scary when it happens because there is no warning sign or even how often it happens I like to call it dropsy like a puppy can get as I end up pulling myself across the floor the positive thing about it is I don’t feel my constant pain until my feeling comes back then it’s even worse than before for a few days I can be okay for a while and then not for days weeks or even months which really sucks when you’re the only person in a house of 7 people and the only one who knows how to clean lol
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @LisaGr8 :)

We're not medical professionals, so it's difficult for us to give medical advice in terms of how your conditions may progress or what the best pain management options for you would be. Have you spoken to your doctor about this? 

It's great to hear that you've started a course in nursing and midwifery. Are you enjoying it so far? 

Definitely do take a look at the PIP descriptors to see if you think you're eligible, and apply if so. If you have any further questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know. 

It certainly sounds like you've got a lot on your plate in a busy house! Do you think you could do with some help at home? If so, it might be worth getting in touch with your local authority to see if there's any local support they could offer you. You can do so by putting your postcode into this gov.uk page and having a look on your local authority's website.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.