Brain Injury... could the RTA I had in 1979 cause me to get dementia later in life? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Brain Injury... could the RTA I had in 1979 cause me to get dementia later in life?

oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
edited September 2021 in Mental health and wellbeing
Before I ask for advice.. I am not being a dramatist. 
I just heard in the news that some footballers from the 70s are experiencing Dementia. This has been caused by heading the ball numerous times in training...

I will keep my reasons brief because this is the  darkest time of my life...
In 1979 I had a RTA.  Suffered severe injuries.
In a coma for four months. Had to go through rehabilitation for years following...
I am now so traumatised by these events I think regularly about not being here.

The bang to my head, which has totally "effed up" my life, could this possibly cause me to get Dementia later in life. 
I am 53 years young. I have since I was a child always had memory problems because of Brain Injury.
I was just wondering if anyone could advise?
Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately because none of us here are medical professionals i'm afraid we won't be able to give you any medical advice. Have you spoke to your GP regarding this?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it should be remembered that footballers back in the day were heading much heavier "casey" footballs on an almost daily basis.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Im sorry for the affect your accident has had on your life 

As advised we are not medical professionals so unable to advise you , speak to your gp or consultant 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    You're definitely not being dramatic, don't worry @oldngrumpy. It's a fair concern but, as the others have said, it'd be difficult for us to say whether this is something that could affect you in the future. Have you spoken to a doctor about your concerns? They'd be best placed to let you know whether this is something that might affect you, or do any relevant tests. 

I've also sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, so please do keep an eye out for that. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
    This is my biggest fear. Will not go into too much details, but I also had a brain injury. My memory because of that has always been shocking. I wanted to learn to speak another language and no matter how many times I tried I just could not keep the information in.

As I get older my memory is getting worse. I have had a brain scan just before COVID which I hate, and everything is fine. But, i am waiting for a new brain because my memory is getting worse. I am being told it could be down to stress but it does scare me.

If you are concerned then do ask your GP for a brain scan

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.