I'm trying to work out if I'm entitled to carers element backdated or carers allowance backdated — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

I'm trying to work out if I'm entitled to carers element backdated or carers allowance backdated

moodyhel
moodyhel Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited September 30 in Universal Credit (UC)
I'm trying to work if if I'm entitled to carers element back dated or carers allowance back dated I'm confused how it works I'm on contribution universal and the person i care for as just been awarded the second rate can you advise me please 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,910 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Your post is rather confusing because there's no such thing as contirbutions universal. I'm also not sure what you mean by the person you care for has been awarded the second rate.

For you to be able to claim the carers element of UC then the person you care for must be claiming either Dailing living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance allowance and you must be claiming Universal Credit.
    To claim Carers allowance the person you're caring for must be claiming either Dailing living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance allowance.
    See link for Carers Allowance eligibility criteria. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

• mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,538 Disability Gamechanger
    Okay, some clarity required.

There is no such thing as "contribution universal" and there is also no "second rate". 

You are either talking about Universal Credit or new style/contribution based ESA/JSA and possibly both UC and one of the latter. However, we can't guess. You will need to tell us. 

Carers Elements is part of UC and essentially starts from when you tell them you're a carer regardless of whether you get Carers Alliowance. 

There is limited backdating for the latter but that depends on the circumstances. If it was awarded on the back of a qualifying benefit such as PIP DL and a claim for CA was originally made around the time  of the PIP claim then it would be paid from the date of the original claim.

However, more detailed info. is required. 
  • moodyhel
    OK thankyou my universal credit is contribution universal credit cause I have worked do they back date carers element
  • poppy123456
    edited September 30
    moodyhel said:
    OK thankyou my universal credit is contribution universal credit cause I have worked do they back date carers element
    No it isn’t because there’s no such thing as contribution universal credit. It’s just Universal Credit. 
    Carers element isn’t backdated. If you reported being a carer previously then it maybe backdated. 
    Also if you’re claiming the LCWRA for yourself then you won’t be able to claim the carers element at the same time.
    Does the person you’re caring for claim a qualifying disability benefit as mentioned above? 
  • moodyhel
    Yes he does I'm just so confused how the carers allowance and the carers element works if you could advise me please
  • poppy123456
    Firstly you need to make sure the person you're considering claiming carers allowance or the carers element of UC for doesn't receive the Severe disability premium (SDP) in another benefit. If they do and you claim either of those benefits for looking after them then they will lose the SDP. This is very important because it's a lot of money for the person to lose each week.

To answer your question if you claim Carers Allowance and UC together the Carers Allowance will be deducted in full from your UC entitlement.
    You don't have to claim Carers allowance to be entitled to the carers element, providing you're not claiming the LCWRA element yourself because you can't be paid both together and you'll just receive the higher amount which is the LCWRA element.

• moodyhel
    OK thankyou  for your help 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.