I'm trying to work out if I'm entitled to carers element backdated or carers allowance backdated — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm trying to work out if I'm entitled to carers element backdated or carers allowance backdated

Options
moodyhel
moodyhel Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I'm trying to work if if I'm entitled to carers element back dated or carers allowance back dated I'm confused how it works I'm on contribution universal and the person i care for as just been awarded the second rate can you advise me please 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Your post is rather confusing because there's no such thing as contirbutions universal. I'm also not sure what you mean by the person you care for has been awarded the second rate.

For you to be able to claim the carers element of UC then the person you care for must be claiming either Dailing living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance allowance and you must be claiming Universal Credit.
    To claim Carers allowance the person you're caring for must be claiming either Dailing living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance allowance.
    See link for Carers Allowance eligibility criteria. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • moodyhel
    Options
    OK thankyou my universal credit is contribution universal credit cause I have worked do they back date carers element
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2021
    Options
    moodyhel said:
    OK thankyou my universal credit is contribution universal credit cause I have worked do they back date carers element
    No it isn’t because there’s no such thing as contribution universal credit. It’s just Universal Credit. 
    Carers element isn’t backdated. If you reported being a carer previously then it maybe backdated. 
    Also if you’re claiming the LCWRA for yourself then you won’t be able to claim the carers element at the same time.
    Does the person you’re caring for claim a qualifying disability benefit as mentioned above? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • moodyhel
    Options
    Yes he does I'm just so confused how the carers allowance and the carers element works if you could advise me please
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Firstly you need to make sure the person you're considering claiming carers allowance or the carers element of UC for doesn't receive the Severe disability premium (SDP) in another benefit. If they do and you claim either of those benefits for looking after them then they will lose the SDP. This is very important because it's a lot of money for the person to lose each week.

To answer your question if you claim Carers Allowance and UC together the Carers Allowance will be deducted in full from your UC entitlement.
    You don't have to claim Carers allowance to be entitled to the carers element, providing you're not claiming the LCWRA element yourself because you can't be paid both together and you'll just receive the higher amount which is the LCWRA element.

• moodyhel
    Options
    OK thankyou  for your help 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.