Rising damp — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rising damp

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
Hi, I have a problem with rising damp in my present Victorian 9” single brick external walled house and I’m wondering if anyone else has found a good solution to this problem. I’ve looked at various products, some are topical paints and some are rods which require holes in the wall, the problem is the reviews are mixed and I’m not sure which way to go with this.

Anyone had a similar problem successfully solved?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @leecal sorry no idea if i'm honest, could you get a builder in to have a look and offer solutions?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi @woodbine, yes I could but I tend to try to fix most things myself. Eventually though I probably will have to. Expensive though I reckon.

(oh I see, just ask someone to have a look and give their opinion for free, yes that might help. )

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    Options
    Quite right @Teddybear12, it’s a bit of a worry to be honest, ☹️

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have it in a rented house and I now have water running down the wall in kitchen and my mums room landlord foesnt want to fix it because it's to much money I am trying to move which isn't easy either 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    You should report your landlord @lisathomas50 .
    That can be very bad for your health.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
             The only product I can think of for a DIY remedy is Zinsser Watertite although I'm not sure if it  will actually work on rising damp, and it doesn't come cheap. Zinsser web site will have all the technical data. 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    You need to find where the water is getting in and for that you need a builder.  Painting over the problem is only painting over the problem, it doesn't solve it, just hides it.
  • leeCal
    Options
    You’re right of course @TheAlien, painting over the problem won’t cure it. My house probably has a problem with it’s dampcourse if indeed it has one, so the problem could be quite onerous to cure, 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    Options
    I’ve had a look at the zinsser product, it looks pretty good, though as I’ve said painting over the rising damp won’t cure it.
    thank you though @vikingqueen ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,109 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @leeCal - as others have suggested I would look for 3 builders that will give a free estimate (try a local facebook page for recommendations, or somewhere like Trustpilot), & see what they say. Do you have a damp proof course? Lack/breach of same may be the likely cause of your problems.
    @lisathomas50 - your landlord has an obligation to keep your rented home safe. I wonder if they have an electrical safety certificate (needed from April 2021 for existing tenancies). I can't imagine water running down your kitchen walls alone is very safe. Please see: https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2021/02/landlord-electrical-safety/
    Some guidance also from the government's website about a landlord's obligations: https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/your-landlords-safety-responsibilities    & where to get help if they don't comply:
    https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/repairs   e.g.:
    'If repairs are not done
    Contact the environmental health department at your local council for help. They must take action if they think the problems could harm you.......'
  • leeCal
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Thank you @chiarieds, I probably will have to get a builder in so yes, three quotes will be necessary. Re a dampcourse, I’m not sure that we have one, it wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t as quite a few of surrounding streets properties don’t. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @chiarieds I have done all the above still waiting for environmental health to get back to me I am applying for private rented houses which is difficult houses go quick or you need a guarantor  if your on benefits or the rent is to high 

If environmental health come to the house and see the problems  and the work needs to be done the chimney needs  takeing down or repaired its more urgent now my mum is here with me its affecting my mental health then they can make the landlord do the work or they can deem it to be not safe then the counciol will rehouse me 

It's proving to be difficult as I keep getting told my landlord has alot of friends in high places my local councilor even told me to stop complaining about him incase he throws me out I said to her good I will get rehoused  but my support worker said he won't do  that because I am paying my rent my mum is 84 with dementia and I have a disability and he would get alot of bad publicity  friends high up or not 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,025 Scope online community team
    Options
    I've cropped out the bottom section of your image @lisathomas50 as it contained other images showing personal information such as a driving license and letters with addresses and full names visible. For safety, it's always advisable to look at what else may accidentally have made its way into images.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    the top photo is the water comeing through the chimney dripping into the kitchen 

The second photo is my mums bedroom wall as the the chimney goes down from her bedroom 

I just want to move now 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    I had to go through a solicitor to get the repairs done to my council flat.  My back door wasn't weatherproof, I had mould growing in most rooms, and I was invaded by slugs every night.

The ombudsman complaint I'd put in a couple of years before found for the council and said that a planned remodel would fix the issue, but no one took into account that the remodel would make the place unsuitable for a disabled person to live in as it would greatly impact on the functionality of all the rooms (narrower passageways, repositioned doorways etc).  My solicitor said that this was normal, they very often come down on the side of the landlord.

My local councillors were worse than useless and were just playing one upsmanship against each other.  No one was listening.

You need to stay strong and just keep chipping away at them.  For me, going legal was the only way to get everything done.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,625 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Is your landlord called Rigsby?  :#

We managed to reduce a damp problem by adding a small shingle trough along the outside of the wall.  That allows the lower part of the wall to breathe rather than being jammed with wet mud.  Not sure if that may help here.
  • leeCal
    Options
    That’s a good idea @OverlyAnxious, we already have that though. Thank you.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    Options
    @Carts said:
    Damp rods drilled into the wall will assist.
    I’ve looked at those and they are expensive and the reviews are approx 70% in favour. In your experience do they work well?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    leeCal said:
    Thank you @chiarieds, I probably will have to get a builder in so yes, three quotes will be necessary. Re a dampcourse, I’m not sure that we have one, it wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t as quite a few of surrounding streets properties don’t. 
    A Victorian House is very unlikely to have been built with any kind of damp proof course. It isn't a problem that lends itself to a DIY solution. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.