Hi, my name is shivers! Can I stay on ESA indefinitely? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is shivers! Can I stay on ESA indefinitely?

shivers
shivers Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi hello everyone.
Can I stay on esa indefinitely.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It depends which ESA you're claiming, whether it's New style ESA/contirbutions based or Income Related.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If it is new style ESA or contribution based ESA then it can continue indefinitely if you are in the Support Group.

If it is income based ESA you will be advised at some time in the future that your award will end and you will be invited to claim Universal Credit instead.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • shivers
    Thankyou poppy 123456 and calcotti.
    I am contribution based and on the support group.
  • shivers
    Can you only get esa if you are on someones books.
  • poppy123456
    shivers said:
    I’m not sure what you mean by this. New style ESA/contributions based ESA is a NI contributions benefit so a person can only claim it if they’ve paid the correct amount of NI contributions in the 2 tax years prior to your claim. If a person was to claim it now then they would need NI contributions in tax years April 2018 to March 2020.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • shivers
    Oh ta for that. Im not sure
  • poppy123456
    You said you’re already claiming ESA in the Support Group so i don’t understand the reason for your questions. 
    Are you saying you’re still employed by your employer but you no longer work there? 
  • shivers
    Yes. Poppy123456
  • shivers
    So if they ask me to leave, what is my position ?
  • calcotti
    shivers said:
    No. Most people receiving ESA are not employed.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    shivers said:
    So if they ask me to leave, what is my position ?
    Your position in respect of what? In respect of ESA it makes no difference.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @shivers, I just wanted to wish you a warm welcome to the community. I hope you are getting on okay today!
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Crazyraven
    Crazyraven Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    I got the supported type with no health assessments for life, at least until I retire, with fear of my epilepsy I've never been accepted into a job so I had no contributions and I have DLA/PIP on high care
  • shivers
    Hi everyone. I had breast cancer 9 years ago. I was put on esa with support group. I have had very bad side effects from chemo etc. And have been on esa ever since. I never left my job so am still on their books. 
    So i suppose im asking if i leave my job and stop being on their books, what benifit should i be claiming. 
  • poppy123456
    shivers said:

So i suppose im asking if i leave my job and stop being on their books, what benifit should i be claiming. 
    You're already claiming a benefit, which is ESA and leaving your job because you're still on the "books" will make no difference.
  • shivers
    Thankyou for that

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.