Would I lose my LCWRA if my mum claimed carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would I lose my LCWRA if my mum claimed carers allowance?

MIADARCY23
MIADARCY23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone I have chrons disease and have a 5 year old on my own so I moved back in with my mum so she could help when I need hospital treatment etc. I then lost my job because I was in and out of hospital so I then got universal credit and got the limited capacity to work extra. However we have been told to claim carers allowance for my mum as she helps me but would I lose my extra limited capacity to work benefit. Thanks so much its so confusing 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    HI,
    You and your mum are 2 completely different finances when it comes to benefits. Your mum can only claim carers allowance for looking after you if you claim a qualifying disability benefit of either DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living. See link. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
    Claiming LCWRA doesn't entitle anyone to claim carers allowance for looking after you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MIADARCY23
    MIADARCY23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your reply. Yes I know claiming lcwra doesn't get you careers allowance but I get pip and we're told to claim however didn't want them stopping my lcwra. Thank u
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Your mum claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you will not affect your LCWRA element. Can i just check that your mum is below state pension age? or is she above state pension age?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.