I am trying to get half price tax what documents do I send to DVLA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am trying to get half price tax what documents do I send to DVLA?

Iamclarissa
Iamclarissa Community member Posts: 12 Connected
edited October 2021 in Transport and travel
Hi I am trying to get half price tax what documents do I send to DVLA?  I’m on standard PIP!

Thanks 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Iamclarissa

Welcome to the community, how are you?

I found the below information on the Gov.uk website, and I believe it answers your question:

"You must include the following with your application:

• a letter or statement from the Department for Work and Pensions that shows your PIP rate and the dates you’re getting it
    • the vehicle log book (V5C)
    • V10 form
    • an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
    • a cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle
    • an insurance certificate or cover note (if you live in Northern Ireland)

Do not send your PIP assessment or any other medical information with your application."

You can read further information over on this page.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Iamclarissa
    This seems excessive most of my stuff is online MOT and Insurance!  Is their not an easier way to do it? Thanks 
  • Iamclarissa
    Also my sister does it at a post office for half price tax!  I don’t get it! Thanks 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Also my sister does it at a post office for half price tax!  I don’t get it! Thanks 
    Have you asked your sister what paperwork she takes to the post office?  That'll easier than posting off the docs.

Also, just to clarify, it's standard mobility you need for car tax reduction, if you've only got standard daily living then you won't be eligible.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger

That's simply not correct. If you've been awarded standard mobility PIP you can't tax your car at any post office, the only way to do it is to send off everything to DVLA. It's never been possible to tax your car with the 50% discount at any post office since PIP was introduced in April 2013.
    f you are entitled to the 50% discount, then you can ONLY obtain this by sending the appropriate paperwork to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BF

You must include the following with your application:

• An official letter or statement from the DWP confirming that you are in receipt of an award, the dates of the award, name and address

Please do not send the DVLA any of the personal medical information contained in the             letter.

• the vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
    • a V10 form
    • an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
    • a cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle

Don’t include a copy of your PIP adjudication with your application.

If you’ve just bought the vehicle and it’s not registered in your name yet, you’ll need to download and complete a V62 form and include the V5C/2 new keeper supplement with your application.

if you feel the application will not be processed quickly enough to keep your car taxed you can pay upfront and apply for a refund. You would need to send the same as above but rather than a cheque you can send proof of payment or a covering letter saying when you paid.

Vehicles that receive the 50% reduction are in the standard taxation class for that vehicle. They will not be in the Disabled tax class like vehicles that receive the 100% exemption.

See link for confirmation. https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-50-reduction

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Since the strikes at the dvla and lack of staff they have been allowing the post office to do what the OP calls half price tax don't know if it's gone back to normal yet 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.