Signed a different name on dla form will it be a problem? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Signed a different name on dla form will it be a problem?

hdallo
hdallo Member Posts: 2 Listener
When we first did my daughter’s dla form although I filled it in because my handwriting is clearer and English isn’t my wife’s first language, we named my partner as the contact and she signed it because she is our daughter’s main carer so it made more sense to go to her account etc.
This time on the renewal, without thinking I put my name and signed as me. Will this cause problems? The renewal pack was addressed to my wife on behalf of our daughter but I’ve sent it back from me.

Comments

• Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 4,989

Scope community team

Hi @hdallo

Welcome to the community, good to see you join us. 

I am not certain about whether this will cause any problems or not, so I hope that others will be able to get back to you. If it is concerning you have you considered calling up the DWP to explain the error and look to have it altered?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,509 Disability Gamechanger
    As you are both parents you are in effect an appointee for your child i.e. you are the claimant in their place. A swap of claimants is allowed and is, or ought to be, a non-issue.
  • hdallo
    hdallo Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Do I need to let them know in advance of them receiving the forms that we’ve changed claimant or appointee or should it be alright?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,323 Disability Gamechanger
    I doubt they will even notice.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,509 Disability Gamechanger
    hdallo said:
    Do I need to let them know in advance of them receiving the forms that we’ve changed claimant or appointee or should it be alright?
    Makes no difference. It is in effect a new claim but in respect of the same person. A parent as appointee of a child under 16 is not formally appointed as per over 16 appointeeships so it's just an assumed status. Therefore there is nothing to tell DWP. Make the claim. Await the decision. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.