New Style ESA telephone interview with work coach ? ( support group ) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Style ESA telephone interview with work coach ? ( support group )

bigben1984
bigben1984 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello everyone I hope your all staying well and sorry to bother you I’m just looking to get some advice please with regards to New Style ESA and a phone call received yesterday out of the blue and then a letter today.

The number that called yesterday was a 0800 number on my partners phone as she’s the claimant and im her career but i didn’t answer it as I don’t answer calls to anyone I don’t know so instead i googled the number and it was the DWP 

This was obviously worrying as we had no idea they were calling and then today the post has arrived with a letter from New style ESA saying they tried to call yesterday but was unable to speak to us about her claim 

The letter then states that a telephone interview has been set up for next week with a work coach ? My partner is in the support group so not sure why she would be having a interview with a work coach ?

It then states in the interview she will need to agree to do certain things to continue to get new style ESA, this is known as your claimant commitment. It then states it will not include any work related activities?

Has anyone had this before that can give me some clarification on what its all about please ? 

Best regards 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    HI,
    Are you 100% certain that your partner is in the Support Group? Did they have a work capability assessment and receive a decision letter?
    If so then you're correct, there's no work commitments when in the Support Group and no appointments either.
    You mention claimant commitments which refers to Universal Credit and not ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bigben1984
    HI,
    Are you 100% certain that your partner is in the Support Group? Did they have a work capability assessment and receive a decision letter?
    If so then you're correct, there's no work commitments when in the Support Group and no appointments either.
    Hi Poppy123456 thanks for your reply I’m very grateful ? yes 100% she’s in the support group she started her ESA claim in April 2020 and after her assessment which took around 8 months to get due to Covid she was finally put into the support group in January 2021 after the assessment with a large amount of money then back dated.

She’s been in the support group ever since and this is the first we have heard from them in 10-12 months since her assessment 

We are still on legacy benefits and definitely not universal credit so I’m unsure what is going on with this letter then? 

Would you recommend that I call them to discuss it ? 

Thank you ? 
  • poppy123456
    HI,

Would you recommend that I call them to discuss it ? 

Yes your wife will need to ring them because they are the only ones that can tell you why she's been sent that letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    bigben1984 said: We are still on legacy benefits and definitely not universal credit so I’m unsure what is going on with this letter then? 
    You are not on legacy benefits.
    bigben1984 said:.. she started her ESA claim in April 2020 ..
    An ESA claim made in April 2020 would have been for new style ESA which (although not UC) is not a legacy benefit. because it is new style ESA there will be a claimant commitment. The claimant commitment will probably just be an agreement to inform ESA if circumstances change. Described her
    Employment and Support Allowance (ESA): How to claim - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    The reason this is happening now is that procedures that would normally have happened at the start of the claim were not being completed during last year due to covid.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bigben1984
    calcotti said:
    bigben1984 said: We are still on legacy benefits and definitely not universal credit so I’m unsure what is going on with this letter then? 
    You are not on legacy benefits.
    bigben1984 said:.. she started her ESA claim in April 2020 ..
    An ESA claim made in April 2020 would have been for new style ESA which (although not UC) is not a legacy benefit. because it is new style ESA there will be a claimant commitment. The claimant commitment will probably just be an agreement to inform ESA if circumstances change. Described her
    Employment and Support Allowance (ESA): How to claim - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    The reason this is happening now is that procedures that would normally have happened at the start of the claim were not being completed during last year due to covid.

Thank you for your help I’m very grateful 

When I mentioned legacy benefits also we currently also receive tax credits etc with a few others but definitely not universal credit 

But I really appreciate you putting our minds at ease thank you ? 

• calcotti
    edited October 2021
    bigben1984 said: When I mentioned legacy benefits also we currently also receive tax credits etc with a few others but definitely not universal credit 
    I realise you don't get UC, my point was that new style ESA is not a legacy benefit and is administered slightly differently to legacy ESA. As you get Tax Credits you are correct that you are on legacy benefits but you are also on a new style benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bendywendy
    bendywendy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, I have just received a letter the same as yours and I’m in the support group, my interview is on Tuesday and I’m so anxious, has your wife had her interview yet? 
  • bigben1984
    Hi, I have just received a letter the same as yours and I’m in the support group, my interview is on Tuesday and I’m so anxious, has your wife had her interview yet? 
    Hi Wendy yes she had her interview on Tuesday just gone and it was absolutely nothing to worry about it was simply a call for them to have her to agree to a new commitment. It simply means that she will basically tell them instantly if her needs change as it will effect her claim. It was basically just a ticking the box exercise so all that worrying was for nothing 

Please don’t worry about it because it truly is nothing to worry about

A big thanks though to the member Calcotti they really put our mind at ease as everything they mentioned on this thread was exactly how the call went 

Take care and try not to worry I no it’s easier said then done but if it’s the same letter your absolutely fine 
  • calcotti
    bigben1984 said: Hi Wendy yes she had her interview on Tuesday just gone and it was absolutely nothing to worry about it was simply a call for them to have her to agree to a new commitment. It simply means that she will basically tell them instantly if her needs change as it will effect her claim. It was basically just a ticking the box exercise so all that worrying was for nothing 
    Glad to know it was as I thought (but I understand the worry).
    calcotti said:..because it is new style ESA there will be a claimant commitment. The claimant commitment will probably just be an agreement to inform ESA if circumstances change. 

• bendywendy
    bendywendy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I feel so much better knowing it’s nothing to worry about ?
  • Qcori
    Qcori Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    @bigben1984, have you had you telephone call now?

I have been on Income related ESA  support group for  over 10 years now, initially on ESA in youth. I have just received the same letter mentioning a New type of ESA and claimant commitments and a telephoned call etc and am worried and confused??
  • calcotti
    Qcori said: I have been on Income related ESA  support group for  over 10 years now, initially on ESA in youth. I have just received the same letter mentioning a New type of ESA and claimant commitments and a telephoned call etc and am worried and confused??
    Responded to in your separate thread
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories/benefits-and-finances
  • nannig
    nannig Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I too have received the letter. I have an appointment on weds. I'm so worried, i thought the same as everyone else, if in support group, unless there are any changes, contact isn't needed? Although i feel reassured through this chat, I'm now extremely anxious about it.

• poppy123456
    nannig said:
    I too have received the letter. I have an appointment on weds. I'm so worried, i thought the same as everyone else, if in support group, unless there are any changes, contact isn't needed? Although i feel reassured through this chat, I'm now extremely anxious about it.

Hi,
    It's nothing at all to worry about, it's as the advice in the thread suggests. If your claim was made in the past 18 months, it will just be a simple appointment, which will likely last no more than 5 minutes.
  • Qcori
    Qcori Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    nannig said:

Please don't worry, give them a call Monday, mine was a simple error, because my PiP was renewed last year, it came up as  a "new event" on my ESA file and it got mixed up as a new claim on their system, so wasn't needed at all. Give ESA a ring and then they can usually find out or contact Jobcentre to contact you and find reason etc.  Hope this helps x
  • calcotti
    Qcori said:
    nannig said:

Please don't worry, give them a call Monday, mine was a simple error, because my PiP was renewed last year, it came up as  a "new event" on my ESA file and it got mixed up as a new claim on their system, so wasn't needed at all. Give ESA a ring and then they can usually find out or contact Jobcentre to contact you and find reason etc.  Hope this helps x
    That is a different situation to the likely situation here which is, as explained by various posts in the thread, taht it is the appointment that would normally take place at the start of a new style ESA claim to agree the Claimant Commitment but has been delayed due to COVID.
  • Barlow77
    Barlow77 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hello there everyone, I've just joined today! I'm literally just off the phone to DWP about this issue and there's absolutely nothing to worry about. It is exactly as comments above regarding commitment agreement for ESA SG. Took all of 3 mins. Mind at ease now. Sleep well tonight anyone who has recieved the letter. :)
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad to hear it @Barlow77 :) thank you very much for sharing your experience, I'm sure other members will find it helpful.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • ukheather
    ukheather Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    edited January 2022
    Another here who just got told I have to see a work coach even though in the support group.
    She said it can take 30 mins which is crazy.

I don't even get money as I just get NI credits!

Hopefully it is just simple like some said on here.
  • poppy123456
    ukheather said:
    Another here who just got told I have to see a work coach even though in the support group.
    She said it can take 30 mins which is crazy.

I don't even get money as I just get NI credits!

Hopefully it is just simple like some said on here.

Several others on here have had the same thing. It's an appointment to agree to your claimant commitments which will be to agree to report any changes. It shouldn't take anymore than 5 minutes. Even though your claim is for NI credits only you still have to go through the same procedure as everyone else.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.