contacting DVLA errr....or not! (its just impossible) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

contacting DVLA errr....or not! (its just impossible)

CJ61
CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
edited October 2021 in Transport and travel
Im now entitled to free road tax and as it will save an enormous £28 a month as you can imagine I am very keen for this to happen immediately. I duly took all required documents to the post office and it was stamped and sent off. The DVLA then still took the monthly payment for my road tax a couple weeks later and Ive had no paperwork, refund or new V5. Ive tried live chat and telephoning them but you cant even get in a virtual queue anymore, they just cut you off and tell you you try again another time. What shall I do? Im tempted to just cancel my direct debit but Im scared Ill get stopped by the police and I couldnt stand the humiliation and I would be too scared to use my car with regard to insurance which Ive changed my status to disabled on by the way. Funny how they are so on the ball if you dont pay them for something. Im going to write to my MP to moan as they a government agency but I already know she wont care. She is just about next to to useless at the best of times. Any ideas or suggestions gratefully recieved. Thank you.
Ive also been told the wait for a blue badge is 12 weeks which seems absolutely ridiculous to me not to mention not at all helpfull. Am I being over sensisitive or is this just another example of disabled people being at the back of the queue?
Hope you are all doing ok now the world is opening up a bit more again.
Tagged:

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    DVLA are a joke at the moment, you simply can't get through to them and they have such massive backlogs similar to the PIP waiting time. I was told from my doctor that I could get my license back in Feb, so I applied for my license the beginning of March. I am still waiting for my license to this day, if you try to speak to them you can't get through. It took me 4 months to finally speak to someone, I find the only way to get through is to spam the number a few times till your put in a queue, but even when put through they just say the generic thing of it'll be looked at when they get to it and it shouldn't be too long now.

I wouldn't cancel your direct debit as you'll be fined, as most likely theres backlogs on taxing too, so they probably havn't even seen your application yet, all we can do is wait. But if you want to speak to them spam the number a few times till you hear a different greeting and are put in a queue, its the only way to speak to them at the moment.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    There has been problems with the DVLA from the start of the pandemic and they seem to be ongoing, I would be tempted to cancel the direct debit and keep the relevant paperwork in the car with you so that if stopped by the police you can prove you don't have to pay road tax.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.