What you take for granted — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

What you take for granted

66Mustang
66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,585 Disability Gamechanger

The “what would you miss” thread gave me the idea to ask the question more widely that is what do you take for granted?

Maybe it would be a nice idea after sharing something to agree to try not to take it for granted going forward?

Before I made my discussion thread about not being able to drive too well I think I took it for granted that I can actually drive at all. When a few people posted that they don’t drive at all I figured I’m lucky. Looking at it more widely, not just r.e. driving, I think I need to appreciate what I can do in life and build on that rather than focusing on what I can’t do.

Sorry if the thread is a bit cheesy :D 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,273 Disability Gamechanger
    until i started to lose my sight I took it for granted and to be honest I find that more of a disability than losing my leg

NHS is another big one for me we take for granted they will be there and sometimes the employees are just as frustrated they can't do everything due to funding 

I thought when I became disabled I wouldn't have to fight so much for things like benefits,  suitable housing, adaptions , and so on 
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,285 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang of course its not cheesy, quite the opposite as I'm pretty certain that many of us take certain things for granted that we should cherish instead.
    Two things from me off the top of my head 1) the NHS   2) senior management.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Member Posts: 234 Courageous
    edited October 8
    I would miss the NHS and having clean water on tap both are blessings to me.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,643 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 8
    If you truly take something for granted...would you know that you were taking it for granted at the time?  :|

Philosophy aside, it'd have to be the internet for me, or more specifically fast broadband & WiFi...the ability to instantly search anything I want, join an online game with people across the globe, check my bank balance, stream any song I can think of etc...   :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.