What you take for granted — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What you take for granted

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,660 Disability Gamechanger

The “what would you miss” thread gave me the idea to ask the question more widely that is what do you take for granted?

Maybe it would be a nice idea after sharing something to agree to try not to take it for granted going forward?

Before I made my discussion thread about not being able to drive too well I think I took it for granted that I can actually drive at all. When a few people posted that they don’t drive at all I figured I’m lucky. Looking at it more widely, not just r.e. driving, I think I need to appreciate what I can do in life and build on that rather than focusing on what I can’t do.

Sorry if the thread is a bit cheesy :D 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    until i started to lose my sight I took it for granted and to be honest I find that more of a disability than losing my leg

NHS is another big one for me we take for granted they will be there and sometimes the employees are just as frustrated they can't do everything due to funding 

I thought when I became disabled I wouldn't have to fight so much for things like benefits,  suitable housing, adaptions , and so on 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang of course its not cheesy, quite the opposite as I'm pretty certain that many of us take certain things for granted that we should cherish instead.
    Two things from me off the top of my head 1) the NHS   2) senior management.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I would miss the NHS and having clean water on tap both are blessings to me.

It's easier to be nice🙂
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    If you truly take something for granted...would you know that you were taking it for granted at the time?  :|

Philosophy aside, it'd have to be the internet for me, or more specifically fast broadband & WiFi...the ability to instantly search anything I want, join an online game with people across the globe, check my bank balance, stream any song I can think of etc...   :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.