Brexit. How Would You Vote? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Brexit. How Would You Vote?

oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Member Posts: 118 Pioneering

I may cause a few ruffle of the feathers with this question...

Brexit I voted out.
For reasons I'm not going to divulge in this post.
If another Vote/Referendum were to be called to basically ask on this forum
Brexit In, or Out what would you vote for?
Even with the dragging of feet, and I appreciate it is a complex negotiation I would still vote Out or Leave.

What would your vote be?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,330 Disability Gamechanger
    I voted out in 2016 and although the likelyhood of a second referendum is nil to zero I would vote out/leave again.
    My reasons for voting leave in the first place were 1) I thought having the referendum was wrong and 2) I wanted to see the back of osborne and cameron and I was sure that a leave vote would ensure exactly that.
    In reallity another referendum would be political suicide for either labour or the tories.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Member Posts: 20 Connected
    woodbine said:
    I voted out in 2016 and although the likelyhood of a second referendum is nil to zero I would vote out/leave again.
    My reasons for voting leave in the first place were 1) I thought having the referendum was wrong and 2) I wanted to see the back of osborne and cameron and I was sure that a leave vote would ensure exactly that.
    In reallity another referendum would be political suicide for either labour or the tories.

Very strange reason to vote for issues that will affect generations to come.
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Member Posts: 42 Courageous
    I voted leave because I believed, and still do believe, that the UK would become a political eunuch inside the EU. 

A vote to remain would have striped our government on any political sway whatsoever.  This was more than apparent when Cameron tried to negotiate a better deal before the referendum - they effectively laughed at him.  It would be a bit like voting to stay in an abusive relationship.

So yes, I'd still vote leave.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,935 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn't vote because I didn't understand any of it at the time
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • woodbine
    woodbine said:

Very strange reason to vote for issues that will affect generations to come.
    Yes maybe they were strange but they were my reasons, I thought that having cameron and osborne in power for a minute longer than needed would be far worse for us than leaving the EU.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I cannot imagine for the life of me why people persist in revealing personal information. In terms of your personal privacy and security there are some things you don’t reveal online and thus is up there as one of them. 

FWIW. I voted one way in 2016. I would vote the same way now.
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Member Posts: 20 Connected
    TheAlien said:
    I voted leave because I believed, and still do believe, that the UK would become a political eunuch inside the EU. 

A vote to remain would have striped our government on any political sway whatsoever.  This was more than apparent when Cameron tried to negotiate a better deal before the referendum - they effectively laughed at him.  It would be a bit like voting to stay in an abusive relationship.

So yes, I'd still vote leave.

Have you seen the News lately?.  Boris is trying no renegotiate Northern Ireland protocol and EU is laughing at him.

No change there then
  • woodbine
    I thought Boris was on holiday? Lord Frost makes a speech tomorrow which should set out our red lines on this.
  • lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Posts: 4,598 Disability Gamechanger
    I voted to stay because I knew all the problems that it would cause and is going to affect people for along time to come the economy is going to suffer for a long time jobs will take along time to build up the UK can't do without the EU which is one of the reasons why they joined 

We will have to see how things go we haven't been out long and already they asked for EU help and they wonderd why the EU said no 
  • woodbine
    <shakes head> we have left the EU and will not be returning, so basically any debate on the subject is probably not worth the effort ?  :)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,608 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 12
    Ami2301 said:
    I didn't vote because I didn't understand any of it at the time
    I just want to say I like this answer. :)

I was reluctant to vote as well, as I didn't believe I had enough knowledge to have a valid opinion. I think voting is a responsibility and if people are not knowledgeable enough to make a proper balanced decision then they should admit this. Actually this is one of the reasons I'm not so keen on democracy as I think most of the population (me included, I'm not being a hypocrite) don't know what's best and it should be left to experts to decide but that's a completely different debate!

In the end I did end up voting (won't say which way) as people convinced me that I did have a little bit of knowledge, and probably more than some people who were entitled to vote. I'm a bit ashamed now though that I was that arrogant and probably won't vote on things in the future.
  • Cress
    Cress Member Posts: 968 Pioneering
    I voted leave and would do so again.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.