My partner is on PIP and ESA-IR. Is it worth me working? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My partner is on PIP and ESA-IR. Is it worth me working?

Options
Dinah2021
Dinah2021 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi guys..am new here and so glad I found this site.
My partner is on pip and ESA- IR
I have been thinking of working...but after googling about how it affects his esa, am not so sure anymore. Is it worth it? 
Ta
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,
    You working will only affect your partners ESA if you're living together as a couple. If you are and all your partners ESA is Income Related then you will be able to earn £20 per week, without it affecting your partners ESA, anything more than this  the ESA is reduced £1 for £1.
    If any part of the ESA is Contributions based then this won't be affected by your earnings. If your partner is unsure what their ESA is made up of then they will need to ring DWP to ask.
    If you're claiming any other benefits such as housing benefit and council tax reduction you will need to report the changes to your local council.
    It would be worth while you both getting a full benefits check from a local advice agency near you. For this start here.  https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dinah2021
    Options
    Thank you. 
    It's not easy...esp when you want to try and get more pennies but partner loses in equal measure. Not easy at all.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Dinah2021 said:..when you want to try and get more pennies ..
    If your partner gets the Daily Living part of PIP and you look after them for 35 hours per week you could claim Carer’s Allowance for looking after them. Your partner would then have a Carer Premium added to their ESA award but your Carer’s Allowance would be deducted. Overall their ESA would go down but taken together with the CA paid to you your joint income would increase by £37.30/week.

The above assumes you are living together. If not then situation is different.

As suggested by poppy a full benefits check may be helpful.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Assuming you live together, In this situation you maybe better off on Universal Credit because yoiu will have the work allowance. BUT you will need to get a full benefits check before applying because once you apply for UC you can't go back.
    If your partner is in the Support Group for ESA then they will be entitled to the LCWRA element of UC from the start of your claim. You will also be entitled to the Carers element, standard couples element. As well as other elements, depending on your circumstances.
    If any part of your partners ESA ic contirbutions based then this will continue to be paid fortnightly and be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Dinah2021
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Dinah2021 said:..when you want to try and get more pennies ..
    If your partner gets the Daily Living part of PIP and you look after them for 35 hours per week you could claim Carer’s Allowance for looking after them. Your partner would then have a Carer Premium added to their ESA award but your Carer’s Allowance would be deducted. Overall their ESA would go down but taken together with the CA paid to you your joint income would increase by £37.30/week.

The above assumes you are living together. If not then situation is different.

As suggested by poppy a full benefits check may be helpful.
    This sounds better. I have no recourse to public funds for the next 2 and a half years as I moved here to get married. That's why I had hoped to work a few hours...but seems income related ESA gets affected too much. 
    Would he rather move to universal credit? Thanks 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Dinah2021 said:.. I have no recourse to public funds for the next 2 and a half years as I moved here to get married. 
    That's a rather crucial piece of information. If you have NRPF then you will have to ignore what I said - you cannot claim Carer's Allowance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    This means that you won't be able to claim Carers Allowance. If your partner is in the Support Group are you 100% sure that all of it is Income Related? If part of it is Contributions based (£114.10 oer week)  then you working will not affect this.If you're not sure then your partner should ring DWP to ask and they will tell you what exactly the ESA is made up of.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.