Living on benefits and selling home? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Living on benefits and selling home?

Options
james1988
james1988 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,
If you own a home outright but now live on enhanced universal credit and PIP can you sell your home and put that towards part buying a new home with a relative footing the rest of the cost.  The house that they currently live in is in disrepair (unlivable) and they cannot afford repairs. 

Would this allow the individual to seek housing benefit to pay for the rental part of the ownership if the home is part bought by the relative to provide them somewhere to live. The sale of the current house is unlikely to cover the whole purchase of a suitable property i.e. small bungalow.  
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated
BWs
James

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is no such thing as Enhanced Universal Credit, It's just "Universal Credit."
    It would be the housing element of Universal Credit they would claim, not housing benefit.
    Whether this is possible is a different story. Claiming for help with any rent when renting from family isn't easy. The question is, if they didn't pay the rent to that familiy member, would they evict them? Or would they continue to let them live there? Have a look at this link. http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2019-0465/Contrived_tenancies_v4.0.pdf
    I don't think anyone on a forum can specifically answer your question because only a decision maker can decide this.
    Having said that, bungalows are extremly rare to find and when you do find them, they aren't cheap to buy. Have they thought about a ground floor flat? It would be cheaper to buy one of those. If they sold their current house, would there be enough to buy a flat?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I suggest you talk to a mortgage advisor if you will be borrowing money. 
    I'm pretty certain that a mortgage advisor would know nothing about benefits sorry
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Silverfox3824
    Silverfox3824 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    You will need to check legal. 

Universal Credit would tell you owning or selling your home is classed as savings. The UC threshold for savings is only £16.000. 

DLA/PIP & AA are the only benefits that are not means tested. 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Silverfox3824 said: Universal Credit would tell you owning or selling your home is classed as savings. The UC threshold for savings is only £16.000. 

In the context of this thread that is thoroughly misleading. There are various circumstances in which capital can be disregarded one of which, as already advised, is that capital from a house sale which is to be used to purchase another. The value of a house that is owned and lived in by the owner is always disregarded.

Your second sentence is also incomplete. New style JSA and new style ESA are also not means tested, nor is Carer’s Allowance means tested (subject to the earnings limit).

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will need to check legal. 

Universal Credit would tell you owning or selling your home is classed as savings. The UC threshold for savings is only £16.000. 

also incorrect, owning your own home is not classed as savings, were that the case a lot of people would be thrown off benefits.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.