Mental ill health retirement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental ill health retirement

Options
Hugo51
Hugo51 Community member Posts: 53 Connected
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
I am 52 with 26 years service into local government pension, currently signed off work last 3 months with no sign of improvement, I am wondering if anyone has experience of early ill health retirement for mental health issues? 

Thanks Hugo 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I would say it is early days yet for ill health retirement to be considered 

Each pension provider is different so look at your own for details 

Majority will need to be satisfied that you can no longer work in any capacity 

Your first call would be a refer to oh who will do assessment and make recommendations on future employment 
  • Hugo51
    Options
    @janer1967 thanks for input, I was absent for similar issue long term a few years ago and it’s recurred again.
    despite OH telling them reasonable adjustments that would help me  they haven’t been always following them and now in middle of a messy disability discrimination grievance which obviously isn’t helping my condition 
    I can’t see my employers attitude changing, At meetings with HR they agree and are ok then let things slide when I’m back in workplace 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Hi again 

It would still be worth oh referral if your last assessment was a while ago as it can show this is now ongoing condition and could back up the claim for pension provider that it is likely that your condition is not likely to improve 

That is the difficulty in getting ill health retirement in that they have to be satisfied you can no longer work and this is difficult to evidence with mental health issues 

As suggested look at details of your pension and eligibility 

I agree going through with disability discrimination won't be helpful and take each step at a time are you getting support with your grievance at all what stage has it got to 

Acas website has great guidance if you haven't already looked 
  • Hugo51
    Options
    @janer1967 thanks for that, Grievance hasn’t started! I put it in July, they asked 3 weeks ago if I’m fit to do it ( never going to be easy time to do it ) and I said yes , still waiting…
    Getting good advice etc from Union 

looking at my employers policy ill  health retirement is only looked at once been long term sick and OH advice received 
    So in reality I will just need to sit and wait and see what transpires 

I last saw OH last year( after  a shorter term absence )  and their advice then was future absences couldn’t be ruled out due to ongoing issues at work 
    This has been proved correct 
    I know My health will never improve working there 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Yes its normal for most that ill health retirement is as result of long term illness as I said in my original response it was probably too early to consider this 

If you are getting support from the union that's good and get the grievance over and done with first 

You could look into medical dismissal policy as well they may pay compensation for this as some companies do 

Best I would suggest is go through the grievance and see what the outcome is then discuss your future options with the union 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.