Hi, my name is goosegog! Unsure whether I need to accept or not — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is goosegog! Unsure whether I need to accept or not

Options
goosegog
goosegog Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I have been told by the O T that my home will be too expensive to adapt for my daughter. Way in acsess of the 30,000. I am beyond stressed as I'm not sure if I have to accept what they offer or if I have a choice.  Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Options
    Hi @goosegog and a warm welcome to the community! I'm really sorry to read of the situation you are currently in, unfortunately I read about this quite a lot online. One avenue that may be worth considering is fundraising. A few people I know have currently got a fundraiser set up to raise money for adapting their homes.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry to hear about your situation I don't really have a solution are there any charities that could help 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What exactly are they offering you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • goosegog
    Options
    Phew , sorry it took me ages to find the forum again. 
    Yesterday a senior OT came to see me. He said it wouldn't be cost effective to build on this house as they needed to widen the doorways, and put an extension on to include a bathroom,  bedroom plus laundry room.... in short I will have to move to a bungalow.. he also 8s putting rails on the outside because the step is too high.
    My daughter  requires 24/7 care. But they are not allowing a room for the carer.  I am all over the place as I would rather not move again as I'm nearly 70 plus I have no savings whatsoever 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So your choices are stay where you are or move? Is there any bungalows available? It can be extremely difficult to get a bungalow anywhere in the country. I think only you can make this decision. Good luck what ever you decide.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • goosegog
    Options
    Hello,  since my first post my daughter had a senior O T come to see the house. Is unsuitable for her needs.  5he cost of the adaptions will be in acsess of the current 30.000 grant.
    I think the only way forward would be to move to a bungalow. 
    The problem i have is at my age 70 plus my own disabilities  I honestly haven't the energy or finances to move 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @goosegog

Thanks for your update. Unfortunately, housing is not my area of expertise and I am hoping someone with more knowledge about housing can respond to you soon with more specific guidance and support. However, in the meantime, I just want to say sorry because that sounds really tough for you and your daughter. There surely has to be some support available for you both. Is there anything we can do? How are you both feeling at the moment? I will look forward to hearing from you again soon! 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.