House exchange - overcrowding? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

House exchange - overcrowding?

Options
LAMB99
LAMB99 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, 
We have found a house we really like and the other family really like ours. We have a 3 bed house with 2 reception rooms, they have a 3 bed house with 1 reception room.

There are 5 of us but 7 of them.. what are the chances of the council agreeing to the house swap considering we both have the same amount of bedrooms plus they would really benefit from moving here as they can turn the 2nd reception room into a 4th bedroom? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    I don’t think anyone can answer that question other than your housing association/council. All you can do is contact them and see what they say. Good luck and I hope it works out for you! 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LAMB99
    Options
    Poppy123456 we are currently in the 42 day waiting game ? i just wondered if anyone else had been in this situation and what the outcome was 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @LAMB99 good evening and welcome to scope, difficult to say as all depends on circumstances and the council as @poppy123456 rightly says.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Different councils or housing associations have Different criteria so even if other members have done this it won't necessarily be the same for you 

Hopefully it will all work out well 
  • LAMB99
    Options
    I'm hoping it will be ok. Shelter england states that living rooms and dining rooms can be used as bedrooms before it's classed as over crowding and under 10s are only half a person ? hopefully won't take too long to hear back. I hate the whole being in limbo part of it ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    LAMB99 said:
     under 10s are only half a person ?
    That's not exactly how i would put. Children under 10 are expected to share a bedroom, even those of different sex. It's all explainded here. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/under-occupation

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LAMB99
    Options
    Yes i know they are expected to share a bedroom, our children do. Shelter England states that they are 0.5 of a person though ?‍♀️ 
    Lots of conflicting advice online, thats for sure :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.