There's a small gap in my sick notes. Will this mean I won't receive back pay? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

There's a small gap in my sick notes. Will this mean I won't receive back pay?

okayycaroo
okayycaroo Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello. Need some help, On the 4th June 2021 I handed in my first sicknote for 2 months, this generated the WCA form that I sent off, waited around and had a gap from August 4th until 13th September until I was given another 2 months sick note, In this time I received a capability assessment and won lcwra last Friday. I'm worried I wont receive any back payment due to the gap in the sick notes 

Comments

• okayycaroo
    Hello, can I join and ask?

I was awarded lcwra last friday, was first started on 4th June. I had a 1 month gap within my sicknote during waiting for my assessment. Will I still get backdated payment?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Can you provide more information.
    When did you report your health condition?
    What dates do your UC assessment periods cover?
    When was the gap?

In general you are entitled to the LCWRA element from the fourth complete assessment period after you report your health condition - however you are expected to provide continuous Fit Notes until the assessment decision is made so the gap may confuse the issue.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    There's a 3 full month assessment period waiting time and the extra money is then paid from the 4th month of your claim. So it will depend on the exact dates of your assessment periods (or what date you usually receive your money) Based on the limited information then either October or November for the extra money to be paid from.
    However, you are supposed to make sure that there's no gaps in your fits notes because this could affect your waiting period, ot will be down to the decision maker to decide what date you're paid from because of this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • okayycaroo
    edited October 2021
    Thanks guys! Okay so more info, it sort of went like this. I was on UC for looking for work but got signed off on 4th June and this sparked the form so I received the form around the 7th June. Was meant to have my original assessment on the 24th September but had to cancel due to a procedure so it was done on the 12th October, got my decision on the 15th. I wasn't told by them to keep supplying fit notes, So it kind of looks like this:

First time sick note 4Th June - 4th August
    Gap in sick note was from 4th August - 13th September
    new sicknote - 13th til 13th November.

Hope this isn't confusing! I was told my statement will be shown on the 26th of this month so Im hoping it'll tell me then? I tried to message them but haven't heard anything! I think it's slightly different for me because I didn't apply with the intention of having an assessment but more of looking for work but my health condition changed.
  • calcotti
    edited October 2021
    If we take the health condition as reported by you in the May to June AP then the LCWRA element would be payable from the September to October AP payable in October. However the gap from August to Sept my cause a delay.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • okayycaroo
    Okay thank you so much it's really appreciated
  • calcotti
    okayycaroo said: I think it's slightly different for me because I didn't apply with the intention of having an assessment but more of looking for work but my health condition changed.
    That makes no difference.
  • rosedemm82
    rosedemm82 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello. Need some help, On the 4th June 2021 I handed in my first sicknote for 2 months, this generated the WCA form that I sent off, waited around and had a gap from August 4th until 13th September until I was given another 2 months sick note, In this time I received a capability assessment and won lcwra last Friday. I'm worried I wont receive any back payment due to the gap in the sick notes 
    Hi, may i ask if you received back payment? I’m in the same situation as you was. I have a few gaps in my sick notes
  • poppy123456
    Hi, may i ask if you received back payment? I’m in the same situation as you was. I have a few gaps in my sick notes

This member hasn't been active since October 2021 so you may not have a reply from them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • okayycaroo

Hey! I never actually did receive any backdated payments! 
  • rosedemm82
    rosedemm82 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you for getting back to me.  that means i have a low chance of getting it😔 mine is roughly couple of days to 1 week gaps which i missed a few times for not being mentally well to ring them up. Did they write you a letter or add it to your journal to say you wont  receive it? And how long did u wait until you got ur first lot of money please
  • poppy123456

Hey! I never actually did receive any backdated payments! 
    Looking back at your question, which has very limited information. You very likely weren’t entitled to any backdated money anyway.
    There’s a full 3 month assessment period waiting time and the extra money is paid from the 4th month of your claim. If you sent your fit note at the beginning of June 2021 then the extra money would be paid from either October or November 2021. 
  • poppy123456
    Did they write you a letter or add it to your journal 
    When claiming UC you don’t receive any letters through the post. All communication is through your journal so letters will be uploaded on there. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.