Being changed to UC due to moving house. How will this affect PIP, DLA, Carers, HB, and ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Being changed to UC due to moving house. How will this affect PIP, DLA, Carers, HB, and ESA?

Options
feeble_weeble
feeble_weeble Community member Posts: 11 Connected
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello, I am new here and I am lost already, I suffer from Agoraphobia and can't leave the house, last year I suffered a stroke and I was diagnosed with (HCM) HypertrophiC 
CardoMopathy,  this means we've got no choice but to move homes, Friday I learned I will moved on to Universal Credit, I am worried how this will affect the benefits I already get, 
Currently we're on PIP enhanced rate for both Care and Mobitity, I claim ESA (contribution based, support group) a joint claim for my wife and I, she gets Carers allowance and Low rate DLA, full council tax and partial housing benefit.

We're moving to a more suitable location, I can no longer cope with the stairs, we're moving to a bungalow, because of changing from one council authority to another we are automatically being changed to Universal Credit, I am seriously worried how this will affect our finances, how will it affect PIP, DLA, Carers, Housing Benefit and ESA? how long does it take to sort out, how long will we be struggling, will we be worse off? 
Even if we are better off, I'm not happy about it being forced on me/us.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No one is automatically moved to UC. You will need to start your own claim once you’ve moved house. 
    Any Income Related ESA you’re claiming will end once you claim UC. Contributions based continues (£114.10 per week) but it will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    Your wife’s carers allowance will also be deducted in full from your UC.
    As you are in the Support Group then you will be treated as having LCWRA from the start of your UC claim, however it can sometimes take a little while to add this to your claim.
    When you claim UC you will likely be asked to provide a fit note, even though you’re already in the support group as this often happens when people transfer over.
    Both your PIP and DLA won’t be affected and will continue as normal.
    As your wife is caring for you then she will need to make sure she reports this and then she will be entitled to the carers element in with your maximum entitlement, this is assuming you are the main claimant of the ESA claim. 
    Your housing benefit will end anyway once you move house and will then be paid as part of your maximum UC entitlement. 
    You will need to make another claim for council tax reduction when you move as it’s not part of UC. 
    Whether you’re worse or better off will depend on you circumstances. Some are better off, others are worse off. although LCWRA for UC actually pays more than ESA Support Group ( unless you’re claiming the SDP) 
    You may want to get some help from an advice agency as this is quite complicated. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • feeble_weeble
    Options
    I am waiting on a call within the next few weeks to help with the application process, if we remained under the same council and same housing association then there wouldn't be an issue, because we're moving council areas and new landlord it will be treated as a change of circumstance, we also want our HB paid directly to the landlord, technically we're a one bed need, in reality for medical reasons, can't share a room, so have separate rooms.  

I am scared about how long it will take to process the claim, I don't want to be out of pocket, I want money to pay my rent, pay my bills have food etc, delays are frightening for me
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I am scared about how long it will take to process the claim, I don't want to be out of pocket, I want money to pay my rent, pay my bills have food etc, delays are frightening for me
    UC is paid monthly in arrears so when you submit your claim you won't receive your first payment for just over 5 weeks later. It will include money for help with your rent, which is usually paid to you not your landlord. I believe if you struggle to budget your money then you can request it to be paid straight to your landlord.
    The good thing is, if part of your ESA is Contributions based then this will continue to be paid as normal but it will be less than you normally receive so do be aware of that.
    You may also be expected to attend your local job centre to confirm your identity when you first claim UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • feeble_weeble
    Options
    The good thing is, if part of your ESA is Contributions based then this will continue to be paid as normal but it will be less than you normally receive so do be aware of that.
    You may also be expected to attend your local job centre to confirm your identity when you first claim UC.

I hope that's not the case, I suffer from agoraphobia amongst other things, I had a stroke last year and I was also diagnosed with HCM a heart condition, although I can walk with the aid of a stick I can't walk very far, a flight of stairs wears me out, even with the aid of walkers I still suffer from falls, the only time I leave home is for hospital appointments, only then it's in the back of a non emergency ambulance (hospital transport), my current GP does home visits, I am hoping moving to a new area the new GP will also be able to do home visits and the nurse to also do home visits when needed. 

I'm waiting to hear back from Occupational Therapy to see if they can check this bungalow to make sure it is suitable for me or if it needs any new adaptations like handrails,  etc before we move in.  To be fair to him, I only sent the email yesterday (Saturday) so not expecting a reply just yet. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.