disabled access at concerts — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disabled access at concerts

happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi, i would love to go to concerts again, but the trouble is i cannot stand for very long. i do not have a blue badge but receive full pip, but not the right points for a blue badge.

My daughter would love to go concerts with me again and most of the concerts are standing only. I am just wondering what you need to purchase tickets for the disabled access section of concerts that only have standing room only and some seats for disabled.

The reason why i will not apply for the blue badge is due to a bad experience with PIP, and also the horror stories I hear when you go for the assessment for a blue badge.

I was talking to a friend the other week who struggles to walk and he was turned down three times because he got his blue badge. He said the experience was really horrible, and mentally i could not cope with such an experience
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @happyfella :) 

I'm going to tag @Ross_Scope in here as I know he's a keen concert-goer, so he might have some advice for you.

I had a look on Ticketmaster's website, and found this page on how to book tickets that meet your access needs. This includes information on how to find the tickets, and what proof may be needed. If you're unsure, I'd advise you contact the venue and ask what's available. 

I'm sorry to hear that your friend had a bad experience with getting a blue badge. It's important to remember that not everyone's experience will be the same, but I can understand if you don't feel ready to take on that process at the moment.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • happyfella

I'm going to tag @Ross_Scope in here as I know he's a keen concert-goer, so he might have some advice for you.

I had a look on Ticketmaster's website, and found this page on how to book tickets that meet your access needs. This includes information on how to find the tickets, and what proof may be needed. If you're unsure, I'd advise you contact the venue and ask what's available. 

I'm sorry to hear that your friend had a bad experience with getting a blue badge. It's important to remember that not everyone's experience will be the same, but I can understand if you don't feel ready to take on that process at the moment.

thank you
  • happyfella
    Identify your venue and go to their web site rather than the route for booking tickets. You will usually find some basic accessibility information but often you'll find a really good access guide and maybe even an access register where your needs can be kept permanently and referred to as needed. 

Really good example of this right now. I have used the access area at the side of the stage at my local venue for a few years. I can stand but prefer to sit for health and line of sight reasons. I went to book for a 2022 gig and the only tickets left were standing. They were cheaper than sitting. I emailed the venue via their accessibility route; they checked the register and agreed myself and my family could transfer from the standing areas to the access area at no extra cost. The view isn't perfect and the sound is awful even though it's a beautiful venue but generally speaking things are getting better. 

If you go the access route first before the ticket site you will sometimes find tickets reserved for people with accessibility needs which are not on general sale. You will also find it's always worth talking to the venue. I have been to many gigs which were categorically sold out until I started to explain my issues. Has often resulted in front row or clear view seats. 

This all varies from venue to venue so your friends experience may simply reflect a poor venue or a poor understanding of the process. 

I hope this helps. 

Thank you, it does help
  • happyfella
    i am really confused with ticketmaster. it gives you choices and sorry but this confuses me. I come under Ambulant Disabled, and apparently i can also take Essential Companion as i need someone with me at all times. I do not have a wheel chair. I am supposed to have a walking stick but too proud to use it. So, i am just trying to understand, if i wanted to book with ticketmaster, how do i find tickets. i see they have the disabled sign, but i think that is for wheel chair users. this is really confusing
  • happyfella
    I have booked two tickets with ticketmaster to go to a concert but i am worried. I have bought the ambulant disabled tickets. What I worried about is will i be looked at different. i know this is stupid but i have confidence issues. also, when i am in pain i have serious trouble walking, but when the pain is not as bad then my walking looks normal. Will people look at me who are sitting in the same type of tickets look at me and think why is he using those type of tickets when his walking is not too bad.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    In my experience @happyfella, other concert goers and venue staff are a pleasure to deal with most of the time. Of course you get the odd exception, but I think you'll find people to be very respectful and considerate of access customers. 

What concert are you going to see?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • happyfella
    it is westlife. Since my accident my confidence is very low. i am always worried about what people think of me. some days i can walk normally, but if my pain kicks in then i struggle to walk. so what i am saying if i am not to bad on the day of the concert, i am worried people will look at me and think why is he sat in these seats when he looks ok
  • Circe
    Circe Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
    Hi, i would love to go to concerts again, but the trouble is i cannot stand for very long. i do not have a blue badge but receive full pip, but not the right points for a blue badge.

My daughter would love to go concerts with me again and most of the concerts are standing only. I am just wondering what you need to purchase tickets for the disabled access section of concerts that only have standing room only and some seats for disabled.

The reason why i will not apply for the blue badge is due to a bad experience with PIP, and also the horror stories I hear when you go for the assessment for a blue badge.

I was talking to a friend the other week who struggles to walk and he was turned down three times because he got his blue badge. He said the experience was really horrible, and mentally i could not cope with such an experience
    Fortunately, I haven't had any difficulties with the blue badge application, I am however getting hassle trying to renew my bus pass.
    Like you, pre -covid; I had resigned myself to not not go to any live event for the same reasons- can't stand long periods and if seating was available it was usually very uncomfortable seating or too small for me to actually see a band  [people standing in front of me and blocking my view] so I just stopped going to events. Then covid plague happened and to be honest I am keeping away from busy places too so I can't see that changing any time soon. Now i have wheels things hopefully be different as it rules out having to rely on pot luck regarding seating options. Probably get accessibility issues instead lol.
    Carpe Noctem
  • happyfella
    scorcher said:
    I have booked two tickets with ticketmaster to go to a concert but i am worried. I have bought the ambulant disabled tickets. What I worried about is will i be looked at different. i know this is stupid but i have confidence issues. also, when i am in pain i have serious trouble walking, but when the pain is not as bad then my walking looks normal. Will people look at me who are sitting in the same type of tickets look at me and think why is he using those type of tickets when his walking is not too bad.
    Disabilities are often invisible so no one will look at you and judge you at all. I go to concerts and the theatre. I'm not a wheelchair user and have no walking aids. No one has ever commented to me and if they think anything, I can't hear them so it doesn't matter. When I leave the concert, I struggle to walk after being sat a long time. That's when it becomes visible. I've never had any issues.

Thank you. I keep getting told not to worry about what other people think but i do.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @happyfella

I think not worrying about what other people think is a good idea. However, it is an idea that is easier said than done. We hear you and we understand  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • happyfella
    Hi @happyfella

I think not worrying about what other people think is a good idea. However, it is an idea that is easier said than done. We hear you and we understand  <3

Thank you. I am a very proud person and I do not want people pointing at me and saying why is he sat there. And i do not want other disabled people who maybe in wheel chairs look at me and think why is he there. I have a lack of confidence due to my injuries
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Hi @happyfella

I find disabled people to be some of the most understanding! Unfortunately, with hidden disabilities, there is often stigma but as long as you know you are doing the right thing then that's what matters the most. Eligibility criteria are there for a reason. If you meet the eligibility criteria then you need and deserve disabled access :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • happyfella
    People at a gig have their focus on the stage or the people they're with. The only people who will look are those who need a chair and to whom it had not occurred to raise an access issue before the gig. IT happens occasionally e.g. when someone is heavily pregnant but it is generally incredibly rare. 
    i have never been to a concert before using this process. i have with ticketmaster put down Ambulant Disabled so i will need a chair as i cannot stand for long periods of time. on ticket master you put in ambulant disabled and then it shows you the disabled signs, so i am just hoping when i arrive there there is a chair and not just a space for a wheel chair

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    People at a gig have their focus on the stage or the people they're with. The only people who will look are those who need a chair and to whom it had not occurred to raise an access issue before the gig. IT happens occasionally e.g. when someone is heavily pregnant but it is generally incredibly rare. 
    i have never been to a concert before using this process. i have with ticketmaster put down Ambulant Disabled so i will need a chair as i cannot stand for long periods of time. on ticket master you put in ambulant disabled and then it shows you the disabled signs, so i am just hoping when i arrive there there is a chair and not just a space for a wheel chair

How are you today?

I can understand your apprehension about going to the concert, but I think to relieve some tension and hopefully provide you with some reassurance, it might be worthwhile contacting the concert venue and making them aware of your concerns. They will be able to provide you with some confidence and confirm that you will (or won't) have access to a chair. Is this something that you feel comfortable doing?

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • L_Volunteer
    Hi @happyfella

Just like @Libby_Scope suggested, I would recommend contacting them if you feel comfortable with doing so in the first instance.

However, if it is reassuring, when I had disabled access for concerts there was seating! I have fibro and there was no way I could have stood for the full duration. 

It was like a separate viewing platform with space for wheelchairs but also rows of seating. Typically, individual seats are removed if need be to be replaced with a wheelchair space.

I hope this helps to clarify but please do make sure as each concert provider approaches accessibility slightly differently  :)

• happyfella
    Hi @happyfella

Just like @Libby_Scope suggested, I would recommend contacting them if you feel comfortable with doing so in the first instance.

However, if it is reassuring, when I had disabled access for concerts there was seating! I have fibro and there was no way I could have stood for the full duration. 

It was like a separate viewing platform with space for wheelchairs but also rows of seating. Typically, individual seats are removed if need be to be replaced with a wheelchair space.

I hope this helps to clarify but please do make sure as each concert provider approaches accessibility slightly differently  :)

thank you so much
  • elandme
    elandme Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I want to book disabled tickets for a concert because I’m a wheelchair user, but due to my energy, a friend is hoping to book them for us instead, is that possible? Also I can only seem to find information about having 1 friend with you, but we want to book a disabled ticket and have 2 people with me, is that possible? I get very fed up at how complicated and restrictive being disabled and trying to join in, in this world is. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    @elandme I'm so sorry it's frustrating. Like you said, how complicated it is is really restrictive. Have you contacted the venue and asked them? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there @elandme you might like to read Scope's page on checking event and venue accessibility which I hope is helpful. 

As a wheelchair user myself it's often a little baffling that most of the time only 1 companion seat is offered- as if a wheelchair user must only go out with a carer, or can't possibly have more than one friend. It's these kinds of attitudinal barriers which contribute to how tickets systems operate!

I hope your friend can sort out the booking on your behalf, let us know how things go :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.