Is there any reading device that enables you to turn the page using your voice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there any reading device that enables you to turn the page using your voice?

missbee
missbee Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My elderly father has just had a freak accident which has resulted in him breaking his neck and he is now paralysed from the shoulders down. I desperately need to find him a way of reading to pass the time as I feel he will be in hospital for a very long time. Is there any reading device that enables you to turn the page using your voice?  Thank you

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @missbee :) Welcome to the community! It's great to have you with us.

I'm sorry to hear about your father's accident. I'm sure that must be very difficult for you both to deal with. 

I've done a quick search, and it looks as though Kindle has some voice controls enabled. This WikiHow article explains how to enable some of them, but the Amazon forum also seemed to have some further information, so you could take a look on there, too. 

Do you think he'd enjoy listening to audiobooks at all? 

I'll do some more searching to see if I can find anything else :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • missbee
    Thanks for the information Tori I will take a look at those. Yes it is a very upsetting time for us all and I am just trying to find some way that he can still do some of the things he enjoys. At the moment he can't even use his voice because he is on a ventilator but I am holding out some hope that he may be able to come off that. He would enjoy the audio books too but will need the hospital staff to set it up and put his headphones on etc 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 45,500 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @missbee so sorry to read about your father, how awful for you both. The hosp staff may well help with assisting with head phones and switching devices on. Might be worth asking at the desk. 
  • missbee
    Thanks Sandy yes when I went this afternoon they said they can do that once he is more aware. I was just planning ahead and hoping he can have a little more independence in the coming weeks. We will be taking each day as it comes at the moment ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Taking things one day at a time sounds like a good idea @missbee :) Make sure you look after yourself, too. 

Audiobooks might be a good place to start then. There are plenty of providers out there, and a good range of books to choose from. You could also try podcasts, which you can access from a phone or computer etc. There are a wide variety of podcasts available for free.

Fingers crossed he gets off the ventilator soon.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.