I'm on sick leave, and won't be returning. I claim PIP. Will I be able to claim ESA, or UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I'm on sick leave, and won't be returning. I claim PIP. Will I be able to claim ESA, or UC?

MichD27 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am currently employed full time but am off sick, I am not able to return to my job as my health condition is getting worse, I currently receive PIP low rate for living and mobility, if I leave my job would I be able to claim ESA? If so which 1 or would it be UC? My partner is self employed and cares for me we have just put a claim in for carers allowance. Not receiving any other benefits.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,344 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 27
    If you have a complete NI record for 2018-19 and 2019-20 you will be able to claim new style ESA.

    You may be able to claim UC also depending on your household finances. You can use a benefit calculator to check possible entitlement 9although obviously these will not take into account changes announced in the Budget today).

    If you claim both the ESA will be deducted from the UC (as will the CA).

    If you are entitled to ESA it makes sense to claim it because it is not means tested. However it is taxable income so could give rise to a tax liability if it takes you over your tax free allowance for the year.

    Be aware that your partner is not entitled to receive CA if they earn more than£128/week. If you do claim UC they are entitled to the carer element of UC even if they do not claim CA.

    As a self employed person if you claim UC your partner will have to declare their income and business expenditure to UC every month in order for UC to calculate the amount to be taken as earnings. As a carer they will not be subject to the Minimum Income Floor.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.