Any advice on cancer diagnosis changing and pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advice on cancer diagnosis changing and pip

Options
tink50
tink50 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
My husband was awarded pip last year until June of next year,  he had cancer treatment and a 10 hour surgery and more treatment so its been a slow road to recovery.
The issue is weve just found out the cancer is back and incurable, his only option is chemo again and he's not having any symptoms now so his team are going with quality of life for as long as possible before giving him chemo and 3 monthly scans.
He's been given a how long is a piece of string prognosis of months to 3/4 years, although his consultant did say he thinks it will be somewhere in the middle?

6 months seems to be the time frame for pip etc.,

I'm not sure where to go from here, do I wait until his pip runs out then apply again when we get given the 6 month prognosis or do we contact pip to tell them what we've been told?
All this is very new to me, it took 8 months to get pip last year as everywhere I contacted for help had a backlog or couldn't help and I'm not sure mentally I can deal with applying again.

Thanks for reading x

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    PIP is not based on a diagnosis it is based on impact. If his cancer and any treatment is not affecting his ability to carry out the PIP activities then it is not relevant.

The only exception to the above is if his doctors issue a form DS1500 which they can do if they would not be surprised if he died within 6 months (which doesn't mean they expect him to). If a DS1500 is issued you simply send this to PIP and they will revise his award to the enhanced rate of Daily Living (if it isn't already) and they invariably revised the Mobility component to the enhanced rate also.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.