Limited capability component mistake around mobility spotted during appeal. Anyone else had this? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Limited capability component mistake around mobility spotted during appeal. Anyone else had this?

Options
C984
C984 Community member Posts: 25 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi

I am currently going through my limited capability component of Universal credit I am currently at the last stage which is my appeal stage I have now asked for help from the cab.
They have gone threw all my information and have found a error which seems to be overlooked. The limited capability component is based on a point system like pip and you have to score a certain amount to get the benefit there is a part in limited capability questions which talks about mobility which has not been scored as I do have reduced mobility and I get the mobility component of pip.
The advisor has told me this should of not gone to appeal as if this was done correctly at the beginning of the application I would of been granted the limited capability component and they have had all the same medical information as pip.
Sorry to go on. Has anyone had this happen to them or have they heard of this happening at all look forward to hear from you 
Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,039 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For you to be awarded LCWRA it is not about scoring points, it's about satisfying at least one of those descriptors. PIP and LCW/LCWRA are 2 completely different things.
    For PIP, the mobility part considers your ability to stand and walk aided or unaided.
    For the mobilising descriptor for either LCW or LCWRA they consider your ability to use a manual wheelchair, as well as walking.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • C984
    Options
    Hi poppy 

Thanks for your response I understand what you are saying pip and lcw/lcwra are different but the both do use a point system to qualify for this benefit. I kown you need to satisfy certain parts of the lcw/lcwra.
    I have the statement from the assessments and how they have used my medical information plus any other information I have sent them but them selfsnhave used the point system and they grade on each component they used and as to see if you qualify. For this benefit . As advised by the cab they have failed to score me on the mobility section they use. You have to score at least 15 points to qualify and you don't have to score 15 points on one section its overall of it. 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
    Options
    You are misunderstanding the descriptors for LCWRA. It's not about scoring points for this, it's about satisfying at least one of them the majority of the time.
    The points scoring applies to LCW only and if you're found to have this, you won't receive any extra money each month.
    You need to forget about the assessment and anything else that's happened in the past. You now need to focus on the Tribunal and which group you think you should be placed into. Then concentrate on the evidence you have to prove why you should be in that group.
    The LCWRA descriptors are better explained here. Although it says Support Group, LCWRA is exactly the same. Please take note of the very first paragragh in the link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    C984 said:..saying pip and lcw/lcwra are different but the both do use a point system to qualify for this benefit. I kown you need to satisfy certain parts of the lcw/lcwra.
    No. Assessment for LCW is determined via a points system. For LCWRA you simply have to satisfy any one of the relevant descriptors (or be at risk of substantial harm if not found to have LCWRA).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • C984
    Options
    Hi calcotti  

Thanks for your response as mentioned by poppy the lcw and lcwra are different but the lcw one is a point system used like pip you have to score 15 points or more to just qualify for the lcw part 
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    C984 said:
    Hi calcotti  

Thanks for your response as mentioned by poppy the lcw and lcwra are different but the lcw one is a point system used like pip you have to score 15 points or more to just qualify for the lcw part 
    Thanks 

Yes, but as advised, they take into consideration your ability to use a manual wheelchair, so it's not at all the same as mobility PIP. (moving around part)
    You also get no extra money each month for the Just LCW.
    Time to move on and forget about what the decision was and what was said in the report. Neither of those will help at this stage.
  • C984
    Options
    Yes you are correct and as you mentioned a manual wheelchair as for this I cannot use a chair in away that wouldn't put my self at risk as when in a seated my disability prevents me from bending my leg which puts my self at risk from being knocked into and causing me further damage. 
    Thanks for your advice it really has helped 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.