Permitted work and self employment on an ad hoc basis. Can you do it and safely maintain ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Permitted work and self employment on an ad hoc basis. Can you do it and safely maintain ESA?

Options
francisg
francisg Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone, im a newbie seeking help and contribute to the online community.
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @francisg

Welcome to the community, it's lovely to see that you want to join and contribute here. What is it that you are needing help with at this time?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @francisg - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community from me also. It's great you want to join in & contribute; we all try to help each other, but first, how may our members help you? :)
  • francisg
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for reaching out.
    My question relates to ESA permitted work and self employment on an ad hoc basis? Is there a safe way to do it maintaining your benefit and well being. 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @francisg - your ESA won't be affected so long as you work less than 16 hours a week, & earn no more than £143 a week. You would need to let the DWP know if starting to work; there's a form to use online. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet
  • francisg
    Options
    Thank you Chiarieds for the quick reply. It seems there is no limit regarding the number of weeks, Is that correct.?

• chiarieds
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,294 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's no limit to how long you can work for but you must stay within the earnings limit and make sure it's less than 16 hours per week.
    Do be aware though, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you can be assessed early and the decision can go against you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For self employment you will have to provide accounts to DWP periodically so they can assess your self employed earnings.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • francisg
    Options
    Thanks All, comment appreciated and understood. Has anyone done self employment any tips?
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @francisg - I was self employed for many years initially selling bric-a-brac, then antiques, linen & lace & finally secondhand & antiquarian books.
     - The first thing is research, decide what you'd like to sell (is it something different, is there a gap in the market, etc?). Work out what your initial costs might be, & how much profit you might make. We sold secondhand goods all the time, so the profit margin was better than dealing in new goods, but then, as with any business, you have to find your market.
    - Start small, which is safer if your idea doesn't get off the ground. If it does, increase gradually. Is there somewhere you could try it out? e.g. a craft fair, a Christmas fair, a table top event, if any of those are appropriate. Try ebay, but check out the competition, especially their prices, first.
    - advertise yourself; have an online presence, either free services or your own website.
    - have an accountant (they're not expensive if your accounts are fairly simple), but ensure you keep clear accounts (simply date & itemise any expenditure & show all income) so it's easy to write up.
    Some free info on the Federation of Small Businesses' website: https://www.fsb.org.uk/skills-hub.html
    A lot of good advice on this website too, e.g. about Self Assessment tax returns (but have a look around the rest of the site too): https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2021/09/self-assessment-tax-return-guide-for-self-employed/
    When you need to register as a sole trader: https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader
    Hope some of that may help, & good luck. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.