ESA and permitted work? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and permitted work?

Options
Garza
Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
I was wondering if anyone on ESA was able to carry out permitted work? I am on the higher rate and not the looking for work element, there is a chance that some flexible part time work maybe available to me in the new year, but I dont want to start anything and risk losing any benefits 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For permitted work you must make sure you work less than 16 hours per week and not earn anymore than £143 per week after deductions. For any week you work or earn more than this then you won't be entitled to any ESA.
    You must tell DWP that you're working and you will need to fill out a form. However, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're in the Support Group then you could be reassessed early and the decision could go against you once it's made.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Garza
    Options
    For permitted work you must make sure you work less than 16 hours per week and not earn anymore than £143 per week after deductions. For any week you work or earn more than this then you won't be entitled to any ESA.
    You must tell DWP that you're working and you will need to fill out a form. However, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're in the Support Group then you could be reassessed early and the decision could go against you once it's made.

thank you that is very informative, would I need supporting evidence from my employer around hours, how the work would benefit me etc? the reason I am looking at doing a few hours is to help my mental health and give me a little focus and purpose

I have housing and council tax benefits are these affected at all? 
  • Garza
    Options
    sorry to ask so many questions but is the £143 gross or net? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No evidence is needed. Can't advise about housing benefit and council tax reduction, although you should report the changes and tell them you are doing some permitted work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Garza
    Options
    thank you so much for your help
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Garza said: I have housing and council tax benefits are these affected at all? 
    If you are claiming income based ESA then the HB will not be affected because receipt of income based ESA entitles you to maximum HB. CTR will depend on your local authority rules.

If you only get contribution based or new style ESA then the HB will be affected because entitlement is calculated based on your income.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Garza said:
    sorry to ask so many questions but is the £143 gross or net? 
    Net.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Garza
    Options
    @calcotti thank you for your help, could a change in my CTR potentially wipe out all of my earnings do you think? 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Garza said:
    @calcotti thank you for your help, could a change in my CTR potentially wipe out all of my earnings do you think? 
    As every council can set their own rules for CTR - there is no way for me to know how your CTR is affected. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.